What's new

Monitor won't display through SP3 docking station

WAR

I've attempted to hook up a new, 27" Samsung LED monitor to my SP3. When I go through the docking station, nothing displays on the monitor. When I hook the cable directly up to the SP3, it works fine. I am using a DVI to mini display cable purchased through Monoprice. I have tried this through 2 different docking stations with the same results.

Any ideas?

malberttoo

There have been lots of reports of this. There is no 100% sure answer that I've seen so far, but a lot of the time, people's issues are resolved with a different cable.

YMMV.

OP
WAR

WAR

Thanks. I tried another cable from the same manufacturer with no success.

I've got a call into MS support to see what they have to say . . . .

malberttoo

Thanks. I tried another cable from the same manufacturer with no success.

I've got a call into MS support to see what they have to say . . . .

I would try a cable first from a different manufacturer. Some folks have said XX brand works, but YY does not.

OP
WAR

WAR

After 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Microsoft, they recommend a factory refresh. I was thinking about ordering a HDMI to Mini Display cable to try . . .

OP
WAR

WAR

I got another cable (HDMI to Mini Display) and tried with it no luck either. The irritating thing about this is I was using a Plugable hub which worked, although I had to hook up the display and power cord, prior to receiving the docking station. Now I'm back in the same boat, having to hook up the monitor cable the tablet!

joudbren

Are you using an adaptor cable that can plug ALL the way into the mini-dvi port on the docking station? A co-workers SP3 dock arrived today and his existing adaptor is a little too wide to fit properly so the external display wasn't working. I'm using an Apple original mini-dvi to dvi adaptor and it fits fine with his dock. Second display is working ok now with the Apple adaptor. Just something to check. Cheers!

OP
WAR

WAR

Yes, it seems to slide in fully. Because I've used two docking stations, two monitors, two DVI to mini display cables, and one HDMI to mini display cable, I feel it has to be the SP3 software. Everything works fine going through the port on the SP3. Looking over the list of software I'd have to re-install if I did a refresh . . . . :mad:

dan_fein

I'm having a similar issue. When I first got the docking station I connected it to a Samsung 22" with a Mini DP to VGA cable. It worked for a week or two, then one day, when I plugged in to the dock, the monitor started to flash on and off. It worked fine when I connected it directly to the Surface. I replaced the cable, and the same thing is happening. I'm wondering if I should switch to a DVI cable?

OP
WAR

WAR

For some unknown reason, my docking station started to work properly and utilize the 2nd monitor. The only problem I have now is that, when a video is playing with a lot of black color, I can see squiggily purple lines in the picture . . .

rbpyle

I have had dual Dell U2414H monitors connected to my Surface 3. I connected the surface mini DP to Display Port on the first external monitor then Mini DP from the first monitor to the second monitor. This worked for 4 months now today the SP3 only sees the first monitor. I wonder if it was the November 18 firmware update since today is the first connections to the monitor since those November 18 updates.

agt499

I have had dual Dell U2414H monitors connected to my Surface 3. I connected the surface mini DP to Display Port on the first external monitor then Mini DP from the first monitor to the second monitor. This worked for 4 months now today the SP3 only sees the first monitor. I wonder if it was the November 18 firmware update since today is the first connections to the monitor since those November 18 updates.
I have two of those as well.
The most useful things I have discovered by trial and error:
  • Mine work most reliablywith refresh rate set to 60Hz
  • Every now and then they just 'lose it' totally, and powering them off at the mains for about a minute seems to bring them back to life.