What's new

Monitoring Battery Life

FlexiPack

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to find out how long my Surface 3 is lasting on battery. BatteryBarPro doesn't give that info, nor does BatteryMon (unless you leave it running and don't reboot). I can't find something that will give me just the amount of time it's been on battery. I've done a battery report in powercfg, short of adding up everything this doesn't tell me either.

Any suggestions? as a bonus, 'screen on time' would be nice too.

leeshor

I'm guessing you use an Android phone or tablet because all that is available there without having to add anything up. I don't know of any app that would do the same for your Surface.

OP
F

FlexiPack

Yes I have an Android phone so I'm used to having these options. I'm quite astonished that with all the programs and apps available for Windows that's there's nothing that can give this info. I wonder how the reviewers of Windows Laptops/Tablets calculate battery life for their reviews. I can't imagine they sit there stopping and starting a stopwatch.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I imagine they charge to 100%, start their test program (this might just be a video on loop, or a little program to automatically refresh websites etc at certain intervals) and then see how long it takes till the machine turns off.

While it may be seen as "astonishing", at the same time, I have never once had a reason even to install something like battery bar. It's fairly easy to keep track of battery life and get an idea of how your own usage effects it. In the same way that my phone can tell me everything from screen on time to temperature etc, but I've never once used it because I just don't see the need. Does knowing the specific screen on time etc really offer the user any real benefit.