What's new

More Bad News on the Surface "PowerCover"

CrippsCorner

It is coming, unless something drastic has happened in the last week I can't say much more than that...

neutral-sweaty-concentrated-l.png

jrapdx

<Interesting Drawing>

Well of course, there is always "something drastic" happening. Especially at MS if we'd believe the many comments in this forum.

The scary drawing--I'm assuming it was made on an SP2--I mean very scary...

OP
S

Sir Face

That's why I'm glad my router does 2.4 and 5Ghz. My SP2 with Bluetooth on (which it is always for my mouse) and connected to 5Ghz gets a link speed of 270Mbps. With 2.4Ghz I get 65Mbps

What happened to the original topic, the Power Cover, here?

be77solo

The dock has still not materialised and is no longer listed on the UK store, very frustrating!
While not helpful, I can vouch the Dock does exist as I use it daily.... nice accessory for sure.

Can only hope the power cover is soon to follow.

bluegrass

These high speed connections, above 50 MHz between your Surface and your router doesn't really mean much when most likely over 90% of us have a maximum broadband connection to the Internet of 6 MHz or less. High end DSL is 6 mhz. Cable might achieve 50 MHz if you have an expensive business account. I guess the 50 +MHz might come into play if you are transferring data between computers connected to the router. I have a 2.5/5 router and have never noticed any difference in the feel of Internet speeds.

bluegrass

For those times when you just can't be close enough to a power outlet, I would think someone will come out with a small brick power pack that will plug into the power connector and supply several hours more of operation. I have some now that work very nicely but unfortunately there is no after market power connectors to make your own cable. I'm not about to butcher one of my official power adapters to make one with. I guess I could solder in an adapter plug to make the cable that plugs into the Surface be able to plug into the official power pack/charger or the brick power pack.

mennogreg

For those times when you just can't be close enough to a power outlet, I would think someone will come out with a small brick power pack that will plug into the power connector and supply several hours more of operation. I have some now that work very nicely but unfortunately there is no after market power connectors to make your own cable. I'm not about to butcher one of my official power adapters to make one with. I guess I could solder in an adapter plug to make the cable that plugs into the Surface be able to plug into the official power pack/charger or the brick power pack.

Have you looked at the Micgyver site? In addition to selling a power bank, he sells a third-party variety of the adapter plug.

LuckyL

The dock has still not materialised and is no longer listed on the UK store, very frustrating!

I got tired of waiting and ordered one from eBay US. It was a few quid more than the non-existent UK Version (£204) but I didn't care. And thanks to eBay's global delivery service, which takes care of the whole delivery and tax process and makes it effortless for the seller, it arrived within a week. As the price included delivery and duty, I knew the complete cost when I hit the "Buy Now" button.

It works brilliantly and I don't regret it. Prices on ebay have come down since as it is now generally available on the US market so it may be worth to give it a go - because I wouldn't hold my breath for this becoming available outside the US.

dRuEFFECT

Have you looked at the Micgyver site? In addition to selling a power bank, he sells a third-party variety of the adapter plug.

That guy is a rip-off for what he's charging. I did the same thing myself and it works flawlessly for much cheaper.

Anker Astro Pro 2: (20,000 mAh charger)
Amazon.com: Anker® Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 12V 16V 19V) External Battery Charger for iPad Air, Mini, iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Toshiba Netbooks, Notebooks and many other devices (Appl

AC adapter for the connector piece: (this tip is the perfect size for the output of the anker astro pro 2)
18V AC Adapter for JBL on Stage II iPod Docking Charger Power Supply Cord | eBay

and a cheap knockoff of a surface charger for the magnetic tip: (need to splice this to the jbl tip)
P4PM New DC 12V 2A Car Charger Power Supply Adapter for Microsoft Surface RT | eBay