What's new

More disappointing each day. Might return surface and get iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke.j93

I lined up for 9 hours in the rain for surface ok?
Each day , I'm getting more and more disappointed by MS Surface.
1. Actual storage is only like 19gb
2. Window OS seems too heavy for tablet use..
3. Hardware way too much heavier than I expected
4. Very poorly manufactured charger that I struggle whenever I try attaching the receptacle to my surface
5. Poor quality paint job. My Windows logo at the back is wearing off already..
6. Camera quality honestly SUCKS .......
7. Not many aftermarket cases etc
8. Honestly I feel like I need another case on the 'built in vapor mg case'..
9. When I fold the touch cover, I keep pressing on the keys that every time , I get so paranoid about damaging them, also my hands get sweaty while holding the touch cover since it's a fabric

I won't mention the 'lack of apps' since I know that it will grow soon ..

Which point does everyone agree with me on?
I might just return it and go for iPad4

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

1. Really, 19GB is not enough for you. I had the first and second iPads both 16GB and that was enough for me. I don't get the full16GB which was advertised, still I was satisfied. Remember you have the option to expand, which the iPad does not have.

2. Windows 8 is not heavy at all. Don't understand how people want the apps to respond faster. It responds pretty nice.

3. Really, too heavy. Carry a laptop and see what heavy really is.

4. I little jiggle to have it attach correct is a huge hassle? geez.

5. Complaining about a logo? Come on now. Oh well the logo rubs off, its about the performance of the device, not the logo.
6. Camera is mainly for video conferencing. Don't be one of them idiots that hold up a tablet to take a simple picture.

7. If you want a case, be patient. The Surface just released and items will be released in due time.

8. where are you placing your tablet? Some rock table with jagged edges like the Flintstones use?

9. You must have some kung fu grip while holding your Surface. Lighten the grip a little and the KB will be fine.

The lack of apps was no secret, but remember it's a start of a new ecosystem and with anything new, there wont be many apps for it. So be patient with that. Like I said in many forums and I read the same repeated complaints, I rather have a few quality apps than a crap load of shitty apps. The MS Store may not have tons of apps, but the ones it does have are pretty nice.

Go ahead and get an iPad 4 and then realize it's a downgrade from the iPad 3. Identical hardware to the iPad 2 but smaller scale.

pbankey

4. Very poorly manufactured charger that I struggle whenever I try attaching the receptacle to my surface
9. When I fold the touch cover, I keep pressing on the keys that every time , I get so paranoid about damaging them, also my hands get sweaty while holding the touch cover since it's a fabric

Sounds like if anything you got a bad unit with the paint issue you described.

Weight is almost identical to the iPad, if you're hoping it would be a world of difference between the two.

In general, it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Better to return it and let someone who actually likes it have the chance to enjoy; you have 14 day return window.

drsurface

Yeah, the OS is a little fat I agree but it's not a deal breaker especially since they included the option to add 64GB microSDXC.

The performance seems fine for what I do. I would expect that MS will continue to optimize windowsRT as it gets more mature.

The weight is pretty comparable to an iPad. But I do notice it appears lighter or heavier depending on how I one-hand hold it if I grab it on the short side or long side.

I agree the plug doesn't suck in like a MacBook pro magsafe connector would. But there's supposedly a fix where someone filed the edge of the connector just slightly so it's not so sharp and that fixed the problem. I will be attempting this same fix shortly.

I have the same problem with the logo wearing off and the edges feeling rough. So I contacted MS and they are sending me a replacement surface.

meh, it does what it needs to do. I guess if a person wants to buy a tablet for taking highres photos, this is not the one.

in time when this thing is out longer.

seems rugged enough for my use.

I have not experience that, but everyone is different. Maybe the type cover would be better or a 3rd party one when they come out.

My response is in the quoted text above.

jbaker8390

Lol, what a hilarious Troll post.

OP
L

luke.j93

hey, thanks for your reply.
I talked to MS tech support , and they said they would call me back for a possible unit replacement but never did.
I will wait til tomorrow or the day after. If they will give me a replacement, I will keep my surface.

archapacman

I have to also admit. The first 1 hour of purchasing the surface, I was ecstatic.

Then next 6-8 hours, WTF LOL WINDOWS 8 METRO/DESKTOP SCHIZOPHRENIA?

Then next day, GODDAMN WHAT A DEVICE. Ported a keyboard, a mouse, and a printer, BAM full desktop. Got external harddrive, LOL STORAGE COMPLAINTS NOWZ? Can do 95% of what a laptop/desktop can.

Day after, started finally taking notes. LOL WTF NO WACOM HARDWARE/NOTE-TAKING APPS HARD TO USE.

Day after, changed my entire OneNote to have quickaccess for all the tools I need, got use to note-taking, BAM full-on note-taking ease with CLOUD integration.

The things you complain about are things you can also say about the iPad. Also, they are things that can easily be ignored/fix.

1) iPad cost the same for same storage (technically since windows 8 take up half of 32 gb). Plus no additional storage options.
2) Windows OS heavy? That's where METRO comes in and give you an option of being simple-minded. iPad gives you options? LMFAO.
3) Surface about 1.5 lbs. iPad about 1.44 lbs (1st gen was 1.5...)... Plus it is more compacted, that actually makes it feel heavier
4) Charger confused me for 1 minute at most. Look at what I said above, suck it up.
5) I admit, the touch keyboard gets fingerprints "highlights" smeared on them. Not a big fan, but how does that or badly painted logo have to do with functions.
6) Camera could be better. Always a plus. I admit that a surface + stand + good camera would be kickass, but c'mon, iPad 1st gen came with good camera? Didn't have one. iPad 2? About the same. iPad 3 or 4? This is where you sit down and think, media or tool tablet?
7) Not yet. Have faith, stick around
8) Same as 7?
9) Agreed. Happens to me too. We still do not know the durability of this machine and it's hardware. I am a scared, but proud, first gen owner.

-Written by my Surface (hugging it like Steven Sinofsky)

Last edited:
OP
L

luke.j93

I'm glad that you are not one of those that 'ONLY' criticize about my post.
After I read your response , I kinda started admiring your attitude towards this MS Surface.
You are complaining , but at the same time , you are optimistic and proud of our 1st gen Surface.
You flipped my mind around. I will suck it up and keep my Surface.
Thanks dude.

I have to also admit. The first 1 hour of purchasing the surface, I was ecstatic.

Then next 6-8 hours, WTF LOL WINDOWS 8 METRO/DESKTOP SCHIZOPHRENIA?

Then next day, GODDAMN WHAT A DEVICE. Ported a keyboard, a mouse, and a printer, BAM full desktop. Got external harddrive, LOL STORAGE COMPLAINTS NOWZ? Can do 95% of what a laptop/desktop can.

Day after, started finally taking notes. LOL WTF NO WACOM HARDWARE/NOTE-TAKING APPS HARD TO USE.

Day after, changed my entire OneNote to have quickaccess for all the tools I need, got use to note-taking, BAM full-on note-taking ease with CLOUD integration.

The things you complain about are things you can also say about the iPad. Also, they are things that can easily be ignored/fix.

1) iPad cost the same for same storage (technically since windows 8 take up half of 32 gb). Plus no additional storage options.
2) Windows OS heavy? That's where METRO comes in and give you an option of being simple-minded. iPad gives you options? LMFAO.
3) Surface about 1.5 lbs. iPad about 1.44 lbs (1st gen was 1.5...)... Plus it is more compacted, that actually makes it feel heavier
4) Charger confused me for 1 minute at most. Look at what I said above, suck it up.
5) I admit, the touch keyboard gets fingerprints "highlights" smeared on them. Not a big fan, but how does that or badly painted logo have to do with functions.
6) Camera could be better. Always a plus. I admit that a surface + stand + good camera would be kickass, but c'mon, iPad 1st gen came with good camera? Didn't have one. iPad 2? About the same. iPad 3 or 4? This is where you sit down and think, media or tool tablet?
7) Not yet. Have faith, stick around
8) Same as 7?
9) Agreed. Happens to me too. We still do not know the durability of this machine and it's hardware. I am a scared, but proud, first gen owner.

-Written by my Surface (hugging it like Steven Sinofsky)

OP
L

luke.j93

give me a reasonable explanation why my post is just a 'troll' .
As 'WE' , MS fans criticize Apple fanatics, at least let's not be 'MS' fanatics...
I'm just criticizing about 'Surface' according to my own thoughts..

Lol, what a hilarious Troll post.

Status
Not open for further replies.