What's new

More Surface tablets sold online in October than iPad tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjitek

The SP4 launch proved helpful for October's figures, marketshare for the year though is Apple 34%, Microsoft 19%.

A fairly new category created by market research firm IDC called 'detachables' will be more telling, as it will include only devices intended to be used with detachable keyboards. The Surface Pro and iPad Pro would both fall into that category, but other iPad models won't.

Sorry to say they cooked the books on this. They used all laptop sales where the laptop has a touchscreen (considered a hybrid)...from all manufacturers. Not just Microsoft.

I think your title is not correct either. It's not just Surface tablets.

benjitek

Sorry to say they cooked the books on this...
I don't think they 'cooked the books' -- the market research firm 1010data is a reputable one, and were pretty clear on what the data represents. Many tech blog sites have however skewed their interpretations of what the information indicates:
1010data said:
...the data comes from millions of U.S. consumers who voluntarily share their shopping histories. The report did not take in account customers who purchased their tablets in brick-and-mortar stores, such as Apple’s retail stores or Best Buy.

The survey lumped together both tablets and variants of the devices known as laplets, 2-in-1 PCs, and detachables.

I don't think they 'cooked the books' -- the market research firm 1010data is a reputable one, and were pretty clear on what the data represents. Many tech blog sites have however skewed their interpretations of what the information represents:

True. The article is badly worded. As is the title of this thread. I think Apple sells somewhere in the region of 9 million iPads in a bad quarter. I don't think MS comes close to that.

Sorry to say they cooked the books on this. They used all laptop sales where the laptop has a touchscreen (considered a hybrid)...from all manufacturers. Not just Microsoft.

I think your title is not correct either. It's not just Surface tablets.
I think you're the one who is incorrect here....unless Winbeta is straight up lying about what the source material says. The graph that they post shows MICROSOFT, not "All Windows tablets," with a 45% market share for last October. (And everyone else that I'm seeing who is commenting on this interprets it the same way).

Actually you can kind of see for yourself that the info is correct, that Microsoft is selling more Surfaces online than Apple is, just by going to Amazon and counting how many people are reviewing each tablet each week. The Surface Pro 4 consistently holds the lead for number of reviews per week.

benjitek

...Winbeta is straight up lying about what the source material says. The graph that they post shows MICROSOFT, not "All Windows tablets"
The data being referenced the past couple days was released by the market research firm 1010data. They clearly stated the source for their October figures as:

"The data comes from millions of U.S. consumers who voluntarily share their shopping histories. The report did not take in account customers who purchased their tablets in brick-and-mortar stores, such as Apple’s retail stores or Best Buy.

The survey lumped together both tablets and variants of the devices known as laplets, 2-in-1 PCs, and detachables."

That would be online sales only, and not Surface specific and would include models like Lenovo's Yoga along with Dell... Asus... or anyone else who makes an applicable device, regardless of WinBeta choosing not to provide those details.

The data being referenced the past couple days was released by the market research firm 1010data. They clearly stated the source for their October figures as:

"The data comes from millions of U.S. consumers who voluntarily share their shopping histories. The report did not take in account customers who purchased their tablets in brick-and-mortar stores, such as Apple’s retail stores or Best Buy.

The survey lumped together both tablets and variants of the devices known as laplets, 2-in-1 PCs, and detachables."

That would be online sales only, and not Surface specific and would include models like Lenovo's Yoga along with Dell... Asus... or anyone else who makes an applicable device, regardless of WinBeta choosing not to provide those details.
But I can survey people who buy ALL brands of two-in-ones and still come to a conclusion as to which one is selling the most. The fact that they surveyed people who bought Lenovo or Asus 2-in-ones does not make it impossible to come to a conclusion that the Surface is selling more....especially when their GRAPH SPECIFICALLY SAYS MICROSOFT TABLETS. As far as I know, Microsoft makes only one brand of tablet.

Here's how Business Insider interprets the data: "For the month, Microsoft took 45% of online purchases of tablets by revenue compared to Apple at 17%." They do NOT say "all 2-in-1's including the Surface." They say "Microsoft," pure and simple.

benjitek

...their GRAPH SPECIFICALLY SAYS MICROSOFT TABLETS. As far as I know, Microsoft makes only one brand of tablet.
In addition to their Surface line of detachables, Microsoft makes an operating system, Windows 10, which other manufacturers use in tablets, detachables, touchscreen PC's, etc. that were part of the survey. Sorry, it's not a debate -- it's the facts. Whatever you want to believe is fine, but if you want the facts -- read the actual survey results and the explanation provided by the corporation that conducted the survey, pretty black 'n white -- they aren't hiding or skewing anything. The Fortune.com article summarizes it all more objectively than most tech blog sites, but that doesn't appear to be how you want to see the data presented.
They say "Microsoft," pure and simple.
"Pure 'n simple" would be the data provided by the survey's author, 1010data -- you should read that, you're providing your opinion based on other opinions -- why not read the source material? The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't state things how you want them to sound?

Last edited:
But I can survey people who buy ALL brands of two-in-ones and still come to a conclusion as to which one is selling the most. The fact that they surveyed people who bought Lenovo or Asus 2-in-ones does not make it impossible to come to a conclusion that the Surface is selling more....especially when their GRAPH SPECIFICALLY SAYS MICROSOFT TABLETS. As far as I know, Microsoft makes only one brand of tablet.

Microsoft only manufactures the Surface but all of these tablets run Windows which Microsoft also makes. If I said Android Tablets, does that mean Google make them? That's exactly why I said the article is deceptive. It gives the impression that the Microsoft Surface outsells the iPad (which it does not). Apple sells about $4.5 Billion worth of iPads in a quarter, Microsoft would sell about $1 Billion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.