What's new

Moving from a laptop to a SP3

Len J

I currently have a Lenovo w520 w windows 8.1 pro installed. 8GB memory internal 512gb drive. Additional 1tb drive in tray in cd/DVD slot with all my photography files.

Main software

1.) win office 2010. I'm a heavy user of outlook, one-note, excel, word & power point. Lots of rules and categories in Outlook. Lots of customized templates in Excel & Power point.
2.) Adobe Creative cloud for photographers. Lightroom 5.6 & CC photoshop 2014.
3.) IE11 on the desktop.

Plan is to get a surface Pro I7, 512gb with a 2TB USB 3 external portable drive, docking station, cables necessary to hook up existing external monitor when in office.

I'm trying to think through the best way to migrate from one to the other with the least amount of re-setting up. When I moved from Win 7 to 8.1, I had to reset up outlook almost from scratch.... It sucked. (I'm sure there was an easier way, but I sure couldn't find it on-line).

My tentative plan.

1.). Upgrade to office 365 & migrate to office 2013 on the laptop. It's my understanding that this will preserve all my existing outlook settings, rules, categories, e-mail accounts (3) contacts, calendars, tasks, one note folders & email folders.

2.) save/synchronize all those settings to one-drive on line. Save IE favorites to one drive.

3.) back up all files to external USB drive.

4.) start up SP3 and run all updates. Make sure it's usable and stable.

5.) log onto my Microsoft account, install office desktop. ( it's my understanding that this will automatically produce the exact same setup as on my laptop, Is that true?)

6.) install Adobe Creative Cloud control on desktop. Log into my Adobe account and install LR & PS.

7.) copy non- photography files onto internal HD.

Questions.

1.). What did I miss?
2.) will the installation of the office 2013 I desktop from office 365 mirror what was on the laptop?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Len

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Len

You may want to consider the file and settings "easy transfer" utility. It won't transfer the programs but it will preserver the data that's in the default locations on the laptop. Otherwise you seem to be covered fairly well.

OP
L

Len J

Welcome to the forum Len

You may want to consider the file and settings "easy transfer" utility. It won't transfer the programs but it will preserver the data that's in the default locations on the laptop. Otherwise you seem to be covered fairly well.

Thanks. Will do.

Len

malberttoo

With Windows 8, you have the choice to sign into your laptop with a Microsoft account, so that's with an email address. I already had a MS account, due to the fact that I was already using Hotmail, and OneDrive. When you do that, Windows backs up some of your computer settings to your OneDrive. OR, some people don't want that stuff happening, and they sign in with a local account.

Here's Microsoft's take on it- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/microsoft-account-tutorial

Just wondering which way you did it.

OP
L

Len J

With Windows 8, you have the choice to sign into your laptop with a Microsoft account, so that's with an email address. I already had a MS account, due to the fact that I was already using Hotmail, and OneDrive. When you do that, Windows backs up some of your computer settings to your OneDrive. OR, some people don't want that stuff happening, and they sign in with a local account.

Here's Microsoft's take on it- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/microsoft-account-tutorial

Just wondering which way you did it.

I feel like an idiot, I don't know. I defiantly established a MS account when I upgraded from 7 to 8.

I'll have to figure out how to check.

Len

Edit. I'm signed in w a MS account. I'll check what settings I'm backing up. Thanks.

malberttoo

No need to feel like an idiot! I've been doing IT work for quite a while now, but mostly stayed away from Windows 8 until I got my SP3. So a lot of what I'm passing on, I've only just learned myself!

be77solo

I've yet to have Outlook 2013 automatically set itself up like you describe, and I shuffle between a lot of installs using my 365 account....

Has anyone else had this work as the OP described? If so, I'd love to know how.