What's new

MS and Apple events made me appreciate my original SB more

BearFlag

I bought my Surface Book last year and am generally happy with (although it did have issues initially).

I thought that either the Apple or MS Event would make me envious of potential new products released. However it had the opposite impact, and made me appreciate my SB more.

With the MS event, I thought they'd refresh the processors in the SB, add a USB-C port, and maybe improve the graphics. They did the last part BUT are changing $500 more for it. So if I was buying the SB today, I would still order the one I got.

As for the Apple event, they did improve the design (weight, dimensions, features, etc.), BUT they upped the price of all 13" Macbook Pros to SB levels, and none have a dGPU.

Therefore, even thought it's a year later, I would still choose the same model laptop as I bought. I'll wait till next year to see what the SB2 has in store.

lovedingbao

I have just bought a SB ( i5 8G 256G dGPU )with a considerable discount. Both the SB and MBP are too expensive this year.

BubbaUK

Agree, the previous iterations have a far batter value prop.

It's not just MacBooks and Surfaces though, it's true of phones as well. I think most people would be better off with an iPhone 6s rather than an iPhone 7, or a Nexus 6p than a Pixel.

It's all very strange.

Orlbuckeye

I bought my Surface Book last year and am generally happy with (although it did have issues initially).

I thought that either the Apple or MS Event would make me envious of potential new products released. However it had the opposite impact, and made me appreciate my SB more.

With the MS event, I thought they'd refresh the processors in the SB, add a USB-C port, and maybe improve the graphics. They did the last part BUT are changing $500 more for it. So if I was buying the SB today, I would still order the one I got.

As for the Apple event, they did improve the design (weight, dimensions, features, etc.), BUT they upped the price of all 13" Macbook Pros to SB levels, and none have a dGPU.

Therefore, even thought it's a year later, I would still choose the same model laptop as I bought. I'll wait till next year to see what the SB2 has in store.

Well I think MS learned with the release of the Surface Book that they need to give the new Intel processors some break in time. They released the i7 with a new design and look for a spring 2017 release of the Surface Book Kaby Lake processor and some new changes. The change they made to the i7 SB was a big secret and no one talked about before the hardware even.

lovedingbao

Well I think MS learned with the release of the Surface Book that they need to give the new Intel processors some break in time. They released the i7 with a new design and look for a spring 2017 release of the Surface Book Kaby Lake processor and some new changes. The change they made to the i7 SB was a big secret and no one talked about before the hardware even.
Then I think the SB may not change a lot in the appearance. MS released the new SB i7 to test the reliability about two fans and a more powerful GPU inside. But actually I don't want a bigger and a heavier SB.