What's new

MS Offering Upgrade from RT to Pro for Difference in Price?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Just spoke to an employee at a MS kiosk yesterday and he informed me MS locations will be offering a trade in upgrade from Surface RT to Surface Pro for the difference in price. So far only available at MS locations.

JP

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Seriously :) Check out your local kiosk or store to confirm but that is what I was told and specifically double checked because I was a little in shock to hear it.

bulls96

I just checked with mine. (Charlotte, NC). They don't do trade-ins :(
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Interesting. We'll have to see how it goes. The kiosk I talked to is SF City Center.

bosamar

I'm heading to the San Diego store in two weeks. I'll ask. BTY I'm keeping my RT! :tongue:

Sounded like fabulous news for about a minute. Then I realized I want to keep my RT. I could get really excited about a discount on a Pro for customers who previously bought an RT. Hey, ya never know...

JVB

I had to do my own research because it sounds too much like a great deal. So I called the MS Store and was told that there was no such program.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
I tired calling the MS store in Los Angeles to see what they said and they hadn't heard anything about it. So either the guy in San Francisco spilled the beans or was mistaken. Or possibly the offer will be at select locations only? SF is after all the home of Apple so maybe they will allow it if it means keeping a user with Windows.

I am happy with my RT and won't be upgrading but let's hope for those that want to upgrade you will have the option to do it for only the price difference. Seems like we won't officially know the answer to this one until February 9th.

Edit: I should also note that I was offered the option to return the RT which if they had done so would effectively be same as paying the difference to upgrade to the Pro.

Last edited:

Arctherus

If this program does exist, which I hope it does, it seems strange to have such a program. I mean, they would be cannibalizing their own product line.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
If this program does exist, which I hope it does, it seems strange to have such a program. I mean, they would be cannibalizing their own product line.

I agree which was why I was so surprised to hear it. If it were my company, I wouldn't allow it. What I would do is offer a special pre-order or reservation ticket to anybody who had already bought the Surface RT. Basically an acknowledgement of being and early adopter and special opportunity to be among the first to get the Surface Pro.