What's new

MS says "Reinstall OS"?? Garbage Customer Service

lexk

I have been having bluetooth not responding, charms bar not responding, taskbar not responding and "server busy" messages. On calling MS, they instantly move to wiping the machine with possible next step being returning the device.

Several years ago, when I had issues with XP, they gave me office to compensate me for my time. Now, they say they can't do that. If anyone thinks that they should invest their time free of charge to debug products that are purported to be "top of the line", I'm sad for you.

Has anyone else ran into this attitude?

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks

I'm not sure why you think you're entitled to something free if you have a problem. It seems like you have a software issue, not a hardware issue, so reinstalling Windows would appear to be the best thing.

OP
L

lexk

thanks for the reply.

first - "who's" problem hasn't been determined yet. I should make clear that compensation is only due when the manufacturer is found at fault (ie clearly when a defective device is returned). (ie they say "return device").

What info do you have to believe it's a software issue?

Do you think you should spend time debugging/testing defective equipment?

cali

I am one to believe that if I pay for a product, I should get a product that performs as it is supposed to. That is the extent of my opinion on all of this. I find it rather telling, though, from experience, that I have had some sort of problem with every piece of technology that I have bought lately, yet, I can remember my parents owning products that worked and lasted for years. I suppose the manufacturers will be quite happy when those of us who remember times before planned obsolescence are all dead and gone.

hypokondriak

thanks for the reply.

first - "who's" problem hasn't been determined yet. I should make clear that compensation is only due when the manufacturer is found at fault (ie clearly when a defective device is returned). (ie they say "return device").

Just return it and buy another right after. That requires no troubleshooting. I agree, hardly a problem bad enough to justify Office. Sheesh....

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

I am one to believe that if I pay for a product, I should get a product that performs as it is supposed to. That is the extent of my opinion on all of this. I find it rather telling, though, from experience, that I have had some sort of problem with every piece of technology that I have bought lately, yet, I can remember my parents owning products that worked and lasted for years. I suppose the manufacturers will be quite happy when those of us who remember times before planned obsolescence are all dead and gone.

That's well and good--and true for all products produced from the previous generations up till now (not to mention MUCH longer warranties, like how the hard drive OEMs all decided to significantly cut their warranty periods simultaneously in 2012). However, would you really expect the addition of a totally different product as "compensation"? That's not normal, and that smacks of too much entitlement in this case. An appropriate compensation would be a full refund upon return. An appropriate compensation would be free shipping both ways and support services related directly to the product in question (data backup, etc.)--and even then most returns across consumer industries will require you to handle your own shipping. MS support for Surface is fine. Hell, MS stores are likely to still replace units with the defective VaporMg veneer even though that's not covered by the warranty.

thanks for the reply.

All the issues you describe are software issues. Not hardware issues. Just wipe it and give it a try like they ask. They're already willing to replace the device after you do that-which is a darn sight better than most companies would be on issues like that.