What's new

MS Surface 6 not even starting...black screen

flycaster

Pressing the start button does not start the Surface...nothing happens (it is fully charged.) I believe that this may be due to the computer being stopped while installing the latest update. I didn't knowingly stop it. OR, somehow a faulty download/install process may be the culprit. The computer was installing the latest version of free Ccleaner over a previously install version. The install appeared to be stuck as it's green install line indicator kept on repeating itself and I couldn't kill the process with Process Explorer, so I think I pressed the computer's shut down button. On press the power button after shutting down, I did get the Window's window icon, and then the screen went blank and stayed blank no matter what I tried. Is there any hope?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
While trying to power on, can you get any keyboard indications of power, like the CAPS LOCK light or other indicator?

- Try holding the POWER for a full 25 seconds then releasing and pressing again with an immediate release?

Try holding the POWER and VOLUME UP together for an extended period?

Try plugging in a recovery USB and pressing POWER.

OP
F

flycaster

While trying to power on, can you get any keyboard indications of power, like the CAPS LOCK light or other indicator?

- Try holding the POWER for a full 25 seconds then releasing and pressing again with an immediate release?

Try holding the POWER and VOLUME UP together for an extended period?

Try plugging in a recovery USB and pressing POWER.

Well, Sharpuser, you have thankfully saved the day. The Surface's shutdown certainly isn't as bad as the Coronavirus here in SoFL, but it certainly was a PITA...had no idea what to do (although I did feel there must be a "restart or reset" somewheres.) When just pressing and releasing the power button, the keyboard would light up, but that was it. Your first tip didn't completely work. It did start the Surface, I did get the Windows icon and the circle below it, even got to the next screen. But when I released the start button, all went blank and not restart when hitting the power button again; or, got as far as Auto Repair which didn't work when trying "Retry." Moved on to holding Power and Volume up. This worked...thank you so much! Do you think you could give me a little further explanation as to just what was happening during this high anxiety provoking event?

wpcoe

Possibly when you initially pressed the power button, you put the SP6 to sleep and when you pressed it again to restart, you woke it up in the same blank-screen state as it was when you put it to sleep. The long press of the power button is the way to totally shut down the SP6.

OP
F

flycaster

Possibly when you initially pressed the power button, you put the SP6 to sleep and when you pressed it again to restart, you woke it up in the same blank-screen state as it was when you put it to sleep. The long press of the power button is the way to totally shut down the SP6.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.