What's new

MS Surface Pro 2 Charger not upto the quality standards

I have had my SP2 since feb this year and have loved the machine , thankfully i have had no faulty products r HW malfunction. But what has happened in that small tenure is that my out of the box SP2 charger stopped charging my unit , MS went with magnetic charger like the apple did but MS went wrong by installing springs under the connection points my charger springs somehow stopped working, it started with SP2 giving error "plugged in, not charging " after sometime only the light will come and i had to fiddle with the connection to make it work , but then all of a sudden it stopped connecting all together , upon inspection it was found that the springs are no longer working and 2 connection point in the middle have just stuck inside and wont come up whatever i do, so i bought a new Surface 2 charger the 24W one by the beginning of this month but now this charger has also started showing "plugged in, not charging" at times, its too bad of design for such a high end machine.

share if you have had any charger issues for MS to view and review their designs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whatever issues notwithstanding, wouldn't they have replaced the charger under the standard warranty regardless of extended warranty without buying one?

hmm I would be wondering if it's the connector on your tablet since you've had this problem twice now. Ive has zero problems with the charger and Im not careful about pluggin it in, and the finish is scratched up near the charging port

yeewiz

I agree with callihan_44 too. With 2 failures, I think you have to look at the SP2. No issues with my charger and I've owned it since March 2014.

OP
S

stranger4all

The issue is not due to the SP charging port as its completely static and charging pins are fixed where as the charging pins on the charger are accompanied by some spring which pushes the pins out. and those springs seem to be getting damaged.

OP
S

stranger4all

Whatever issues notwithstanding, wouldn't they have replaced the charger under the standard warranty regardless of extended warranty without buying one?

If only i was as lucky as you guys in the US , not living in US and would have to send my charger to Hongkong to get it replaced which will result in delivery charges which are even more than the surface charger costs.

toaf

make sur its the charger . ' try changing charge setting next time.. like go from high power to power save wait abit see if it starts charging. it dose it to me often but i was blaming the power cover or docking station worth a try

OP
S

stranger4all

make sur its the charger . ' try changing charge setting next time.. like go from high power to power save wait abit see if it starts charging. it dose it to me often but i was blaming the power cover or docking station worth a try

Interesting never thought of it from this perspective ! , will check and update.

you sure ur not also facing same issue that charger is giving problem and you re-plug again and it starts charging ?