What's new

MS Surface Pro (2017) with LTE Release date?

Jay Marino

I have been searching to replace my SP3 with the SP2017 with LTE.
They were available for a few days and then removed from the website.
One affiliate site says they will be ready for sale in Spring 2018?
Anyone have any inside information as to when these LTE devices will come out?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that Microsoft has pivoted these to their commercial sales and have been distributed to their stores that do brisk commercial sales. They are also being distributed in limited quantities through the DISTI Channel (CDW, Insight, PC connection, etc.).

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

Unrelated, what software or apps to you use to pair your Android phone to your Surface devices? I have seen some programs that allow you to basically use your android phone on your WIN10 device. Do you use any of those?

I have contacted CDW. Everywhere says "call for pricing". :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unrelated, what software or apps to you use to pair your Android phone to your Surface devices? I have seen some programs that allow you to basically use your android phone on your WIN10 device. Do you use any of those?

I have contacted CDW. Everywhere says "call for pricing". :(
I only use my Android device as a mobile hotspot. I use the devices very differently.

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

So they popped up on the Microsoft website. I talked to someone there, they are working on having them available for spring. But orders have been coming in.
They are no longer available.

I talked to CDW. And they are taking orders but they are not being filled yet. That’s fine with me. I want to spend my 2017 money and have the tax write off this year rather than wait until next year.

They ordered the i5, 256GB, 8GB Ram with LTE and they threw in 3 years worth of accidental breakage warranty coverage for free. Where if the screen cracks, you call and they send a new one.

There are 50 people ahead of me that have orders in for them.thats fine with me. They can take a month or two to send, I’m not in a rush to get the device, I just wanted to spend the money before they end of the year.

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

Only available with the i5. I run the i7. Bummer.
They need the fanless i5 in order to have room for the LTE modem and hardware in the device. They use 99% of the device as it is, so adding LTE wasn't easy. I wanted an i7 LTE as well, but I do like the better battery life and fanless features of the i5. I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

MaxBuck

Hence why I'm looking for LTE...
I use my cell phone to tether, routinely. Since I always carry my cell phone, I've personally never seen a purpose for having a cell modem inside my tablet devices. Do people want this feature only because they don't want to carry a cell phone?

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

Yeah, using my phone to tether was working. But the LTE is very nice. My cell phone plan is unlimited, however, they throttle you down after 22GB per month. With a tether and cell phone use, I go through that every month. I can't deal with the slower speeds. The LTE portion has it's own unlimited package with another 22GB per month before throttling. Where I am located (farmlands of Illinios) we have very limited WiFi. But cell phones are strong. Also, it gives me the ability to walk around with my phone and leave my Surface behind in another room without being worried about my Surface being disconnected from the internet.