What's new

MS Surface Support - Advanced Replacement NIGHTMARE

Any one have any luck getting an advanced replacement for their Surface Pro 2 in the past week?

I've spent about 9 hours total on the phone and chat, there are 3 holds of $1100 on my CC, and they still don't know what's wrong and why the exchange process is halted. Absolutely the worst customer support experience of my life. Just curious as to any others on this forum going that route to remedy their firmware fried SP2s. MS has much to learn about stepping into the 1st party PC market.

godson594

Any one have any luck getting an advanced replacement for their Surface Pro 2 in the past week?

I've spent about 9 hours total on the phone and chat, there are 3 holds of $1100 on my CC, and they still don't know what's wrong and why the exchange process is halted. Absolutely the worst customer support experience of my life. Just curious as to any others on this forum going that route to remedy their firmware fried SP2s. MS has much to learn about stepping into the 1st party PC market.

Not sure yet - I did mine and they put 1100 hold on my debit card. I'm waiting to see some kind of tracking so I know when to be home, it said I was supposed to get an email in 24-48 hours and I haven't seen it yet.

How many days have you been waiting?

irrationaljay

This all happened about 2 weeks ago,

My Surface worked flawlessly until the December Update where I encountered the dreaded battery issue, it also killed the first row of keys on my Type Cover. (Random Right?) Needless to say I freaked out. But I simply visited myservice.surface.com registered my device with its S/N, put in a return and BAM! I received my confirmation email and my new devices were shipped out to me within 24hrs.

I never had to call a support number, I went through the process online, only took a few clicks.
They also put a hold on my credit card. I received my new devices within 3 days. Sent my old ones back in the same packaging and within 3 days the hold was taken off.

It was flawless.

OP
S

SteveBorough

This all happened about 2 weeks ago,

My Surface worked flawlessly until the December Update where I encountered the dreaded battery issue, it also killed the first row of keys on my Type Cover. (Random Right?) Needless to say I freaked out. But I simply visited myservice.surface.com registered my device with its S/N, put in a return and BAM! I received my confirmation email and my new devices were shipped out to me within 24hrs.

I never had to call a support number, I went through the process online, only took a few clicks.
They also put a hold on my credit card. I received my new devices within 3 days. Sent my old ones back in the same packaging and within 3 days the hold was taken off.

It was flawless.

I think their system has since sh*t the bed. My initial request started on the phone (didn't know about myservice.surface.com at the time) and they were experiencing problems with their system so I was instructed to continue online. I entered my CC info and got an on-sceen receipt in the process. I checked back online the next day for a status update and noticed that it said "payment invalid" called my bank who acknowledged the $1100 hold and immediately called MS. Since then its been me initiating calls with support (even though 2 supervisors have promised to call me the next day with an update) at this point I've had MS on the phone with American express, I've sent screenshots of the recent transactions screen of the billing section of accounts.Live.com showing the 3 holds (at their request) and they still cannot process my order (or even know why)

I started this thread to find out if this is a special case or if their systems are indeed broken. All in all I started this process last week Thursday and remain with a malfunctioning SP2, a $3300 hold on my credit card and no information as to why or when this will be resolved. Just this evening after going through 2 hours again on the phone with support I was told someone will call me from a different team in 3 - 4 business days. Beyond livid!

ra535i

I had a similar issue with a light leak and it took me a week. Granted it wasn't this week, (month or two ago) but I had to wait for damn near a week and a half for their "system" to get it right. My guess is you have the same exact issue I had. Have you tried cancelling the replacement? I couldn't even do that. The system simply said that it was "pending". Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.

wseverino

I think those that got it right away had the smaller SSD in them. They have been out of stock on the 512G and 256G surfaces. I got a call last night that I would have one shipped on Thursday. Believe it when I see it. I am currently going on 2 1/2 weeks with a useless Surface. Hopefully Monday I will have the replacement.

Last edited:

fonzman78

I think those that got it right away had the smaller SSD in them. They have been out of stock on the 512G and 256G surfaces. I got a call last night that I would have one shipped on Thursday. Believe it when I see it. I am currently going on 2 1/2 weeks with a useless Surface. Hopefully Monday I will have the replacement.

Not really. I have the 256/8 Pro2 and it took exactly 5 days to get my replacement. I started the process via Chat on Dec 23. It took maybe 20 min chatting to determine I needed a replacement. Chat rep helped me fill out form at myservice.surface.com, selected Advanced option, and had my new SPro2 by Fri, Dec 28.

"MS has much to learn about stepping into the 1st party PC market." - I suppose they could do better. I also suppose anyone can do better as well. No one is perfect. All my experiences with MS Support, MS Store, and MS in general have been positive if not Outstanding.

Steveb, wow, when it rains it pours. Bad SP, bad support, bad replacement process. Funny how some folks get all the bad luck. Crossing my fingers things continue good for me.

Jasmine

Ugh.

I'm in the process of a return right now, and it's been utterly ridiculous so far. I got my SP2 on 12/2 and started the return/exchange process on 12/4. I waited on them to finally restock before sending my SP2 back, only to find out I have no idea whether it's a return or an exchange. Some emails said return, another said exchange. I had 2 customer service reps email me 3 weeks ago about the return, and neither ever replied after that. I had no idea what to do. I don't recall receiving a receipt in the box with my SP2, but I saw something on MS's website about including one, so I don't know what will happen. And if they issue a refund, I'll have to pay an extra $129 for the Surface since the 10% student discount ended yesterday :(.

I'm pretty upset to find out there was a site specific for Surfaces and no one told me about it :mad:. Apparently, I could have had a replacement a long time ago and wouldn't be stuck without a computer at all for who knows how long, as almost all the SP2s are out of stock once again.

Definitely won't be dealing with MS anymore after this. Every costumer service rep I've dealt with is incompetent.

OP
S

SteveBorough

That's why I started this thread, trying to figure out why the level of service I received is drastically different than others. Is it the holiday season, limited stock or just plain bad luck. My experience has been abominable. A $3300 hold on my card doesn't affect me but I can imagine this being impairing for some. What does affect me is a marginalized device that I may be stuck with for a few weeks.

Dim-Ize

Man o man, I hope you guys get that sorted out. Let us know if the replacements resolve your dissatisfaction and if the billing matter gets cleared up. I think the billing issues would indeed exacerbate the situation to no end... Still Jan 1, 2014 here in TN. So, hoping your year with the Surface Pro 2 is a blessing and not a curse.