What's new

MS tempered glass screen protector...shattered.

Quick update - first 2 weeks the official tempered glass screen protector worked great... and then I started transporting my SP3 to school and back everyday in my backpack. A couple of times my SP3 turned on in my bag and when I took it out it was pretty hot. Unfortunately, one of these times, the screen protector slid off-centre, and cracked in like 5 places.

Might be just a one-off, but this makes me think that it loosens its seal when the SP3 gets really hot. Also, I can't help but think that the odds of this happening would be less if it wasn't 0.5mm thick, and was instead a little bit thinner, so that the edges of it weren't raised and open to being slid around.

Back to my folio case for now - don't think I'll be going back to another screen protector, at least not the MS one - will update on whether or not the MS store offers me some sort of replacement or money-back option. I've had nothing but good experiences with them so I'm not expecting there to be any issues on that front. :)

RémiM

Yep, so now you can imagine how the heat generated by the SP3 could damage the screen istelf...

Why was it running hot when it was alone in your backpack ?

OP
M

markusbeutel

Yep, so now you can imagine how the heat generated by the SP3 could damage the screen istelf...

Why was it running hot when it was alone in your backpack ?

Turns on by itself sometimes - assuming books and stuff somehow bump up against the power button even though its enclosed within multiple layers of protection.

RémiM

Yes, but even if it starts by itself (assuming thet Murphy presses the power button) it should not run hot.

If I was you, I would try to figure this little thing out asap.

First, what turns it on in your bag ? And secondly, what makes the processor crazy when nothing runs ?

Did you check the event reports ?

OP
M

markusbeutel

Yes, but even if it starts by itself (assuming thet Murphy presses the power button) it should not run hot.

If I was you, I would try to figure this little thing out asap.

First, what turns it on in your bag ? And secondly, what makes the processor crazy when nothing runs ?

Did you check the event reports ?

It runs hot because it's enclosed in a tight sleeve, which is further enclosed within a carrying case. It's got no access to air, basically, which is why it gets hot if it accidentally turns on. The vents can't do their job properly. Nothing to do with anything else - I have no issues with my SP3 and heat under normal usage.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Books and paper - but nothing that would affect the SP3, as it was inside a felt sleeve, which was inside of 13 inch laptop case. It was as snug and safe as it could possibly be - only thing affecting it was heat.
Sounds like a case for Mythbusters. I say, no way. :)

OP
M

markusbeutel

Do you have type cover,if not ,it's your problem

I have a type cover... Why would I have an SP3 and not have a type cover? The type cover is covering the glass screen protector, encased in a sleeve, encased in a carrying case, which is inside my backpack. Lol - heat is the only outlier I can think of that could be causing the screen protector to slide around. Heading to the MS store now though, will see what they say.

When the MS store applied it when I first got it, they reapplied it a few times to get it fitted right, so maybe it lost some adhesiveness during this time? No idea, just thinking of alternative reasons :p

ipaq_101

I have the zagg glass screen protector, and yes sometimes when I pull the SP3 out of the sleeve it's hot. I figured that the way I was putting the SP3 in the sleeve caused it to turn on whenever there was a bump, to solve it by adjusting the way I stored the unit in the sleeve.

The screen protector is solid, bought it at best buy and no signs of it slipping off.