What's new

MS wants us to see them as a hardware company.

OP
machistmo

machistmo

@ machistmo...we get the fact that you have returned the Surface Pro and the RT in the recent past. We also get the fact that you were and are not happy with how either of those two machines worked out for you. But what I don't get is your recent avatar as being an expert commentator on MS's business strategy. Sure, like everyone else, you have your opinion. But over the course of the last 24-36 hours you have started thread after thread which basically are variations in expressions of your dissatisfaction with MS and/ or the Surface devices none of which lend to any great insights into either the devices or the company.

I think all of my statements speak for themselves, and like them or not, they are spot on. Microsoft failed this round. Period. They vastly misjudged their market and developed RT which noone seems to be interested in, PERIOD. Nokia is moving in while the entire rest of the hardware industry is running from WOA/RT with their hair on fire. What I read in your response is 'stop poking the company and the deivce I like, even if it is a failure'. I think my comments are vaild weather or not you like to read them. Fanbois will be fanbois. I am not a hater as much as I am a disappointed stockholder. I own somewhere around 800 shares of the company. Not sure I should hold them much longer however.

I will say it again: There is a Microsoft shaped hole in the wall where they went after Apples business model while leaving their enterprise customers scratching their heads. They succeeded in alienating their long time core base and everyone else in the process. I don't think it is possible that they could have done anything MORE wrong than they did with Windows 8 and RT. You can put lipstick on a pig, but then you're just the creepy person dressing up pigs. Try not to take me personally.

Last edited:

pallentx

They haven't left their enterprise customers at all. Big things are here and in the pipeline for System Center, Windows Server, Hyper-V, Azure, etc. I have only seen a tiny slice of what is coming together with System Center and Hyper V. If it lives up to half of what they say it can do, it is and will be very impressive. As for end user desktops, there will be some growing pains, but they will be long forgotten in a few years, just as they have been with every major shift in UIs over the years. (we're still trying to roll out Windows 7 where I work - jeez)

kristalsoldier

I think all of my statements speak for themselves, and like them or not, they are spot on. Microsoft failed this round. Period. They vastly misjudged their market and developed RT which noone seems to be interested in, PERIOD. Nokia is moving in while the entire rest of the hardware industry is running from WOA/RT with their hair on fire. What I read in your response is 'stop poking the company and the deivce I like, even if it is a failure'. I think my comments are vaild weather or not you like to read them. Fanbois will be fanbois. I am not a hater as much as I am a disappointed stockholder. I own somewhere around 800 shares of the company. Not sure I should hold them much longer however.

I will say it again: There is a Microsoft shaped hole in the wall where they went after Apples business model while leaving their enterprise customers scratching their heads. They succeeded in alienating their long time core base and everyone else in the process. I don't think it is possible that they could have done anything MORE wrong than they did with Windows 8 and RT. You can put lipstick on a pig, but then you're just the creepy person dressing up pigs. Try not to take me personally.

I could have chosen not to respond to your post, but I will do so because I think you seem to be intent on misinterpreting what I had posted.

So, let me make this clear - to the extent that I can. You have your opinions about MS, its products and its strategy. Excellent! But recognize them for what they are - opinions. They are nothing more or nothing less. As such, I am willing - and I think everyone who reads your posts are equally willing - to hear them out, debate them with your (respectfully, of course) etc. Naturally, we would expect you to accord the same degree of reciprocity. However, when you post your opinions which repeatedly say the same thing over and over again, they detract from what I think the aim (or at least one of the aims) of this forum is which, if I am not mistaken, is the exchange of information for mutual benefit.

Thus, as I mentioned in the post that you referenced to: "Sure, like everyone else, you have your opinion. But over the course of the last 24-36 hours you have started thread after thread which basically are variations in expressions of your dissatisfaction with MS and/ or the Surface devices none of which lend to any great insights into either the devices or the company."

I do understand that you are dissatisfied with MS and its devices etc. But having said it once, twice and a number of times, what do to you stand to gain by repeating it. If you think your opinions are more than opinions and have a strong commercial logic to them, then being a stock holder in the company, why don't you approach the company and share your insights with them? Wouldn't that be more productive and possibly of more value - to the company, perhaps even to you?

But where you cross the line - in my opinion - is when you post lines like this (and this is direct quote from your last post referenced above): "What I read in your response is 'stop poking the company and the deivce (sic) I like, even if it is a failure'."

Having made this, what I can only interpret as a statement that is directed to me - personally - you then end your post by suggesting the following: "Try not to take me personally".

So, let me relieve you of at least some of your illusions:

First, I really don't care whether you like a company or not (and I am not interested in knowing whether or not you own stock in a company or not - it simply is none of my business). You may interpret - based on my comments/ posts etc. - that I "like" MS, but as far as I remember, I don't recall having mentioned it. The most that I have said is that (1) I have been using MS products and related hardware for a long time; (2) I have occasionally used/ experimented with Linux; and, (3) in my recent posts, I have mentioned my buying an iPad and expressing my comfort level in using it for my reading (which is a combination of the aspect ratio of the device and the few apps that I have used and which I have compared to - but not shared the results of said comparisons publicly - the ones that I have on my Nexus 10).

Second, I have also mentioned - quite openly, I might add - that the Surface RT suits my needs (for work and for the minimal time I get to play). I understand its limitations. I also hold - and mark my words here - the opinion that from my point of view, the Surface RT is a far more innovative device than the Surface Pro. I have various reasons for this - some of which I have shared on this forum previously. It is quite pointless for me to assert that my opinion is correct or "the truth" because, by definition, an opinion cannot be either of those things. Moreover, the only thing that I can share about my experience with the RT is my opinion and my (use-based) experience. In both cases, I recognize and accept the fact that they are specific to me. I share them because (1) by doing so I can compare notes with others who are also users and thus can learn interactively (to the extent possible over such a medium) and (2) the discussion that (sometimes) follows is enlightening. Different perspectives are interesting (at least to me).

Third, I think - and the rest of the community will have to either confirm or deny this - I have never come across as (in your words) a "fanboi(s)". Given that I seem to own devices that run 4/5 OSs - depending on how they are listed - (if you are interested, I use Win 8 Pro (on my desktop), Win 8RT (on the Surface RT), Android 4.3 (on a Nexus 10) and 2.3.6 (on a Samsung Galaxy 5850), the installed version of iOS on the iPad 4, Win 8 Phone on a Nokia 720), I think I am justified in saying that my loyalty to a company is not blind and unifocal. In other words, as long as a device/ product works for me, I use it.

In conclusion, then let me reiterate, I have no interest whatsoever in your opinions about MS and its business strategy. But yes, I am interested in your views (and used-based) experience about the Surface line-up, Win 8 (and its variants).

beman39

yea it kinda annoys me that even tho it didn't work for HIM and he keeps repeating how it's such a bad product and worked badly, but I can't imagine how...

my device has worked flawless for me and I know I keep repeating this but...

why is the RT getting such a bad rap? it does everything better than I thought it would! the tablet itself is really really

well made and I luv the fact it has a kick stand which no other

tablet has might I add, and that's what I used to luv about my HTC HD7 phone. Also this has a full fledge working IE10 and I

haven't run into 1 website that it did not work, and the

funny thing is that a lot of people said there was a lot of websites that they couldn't go on so I was scared that I would

have trouble but so far so good! the only other tablet that ran

well on all websites was the playbook and my surface runs way better than that tablet! Another thing is the touch keyboard

which I luv using and works perfect for me and a lot of

people are complaining about THAT! I don't know what the problem is lol and I luv the fact that it's sooo thin and protects

the screen which I also luv the fact I can flip it over and kick

the stand out and it acts like a hard "surface" (no pun intended lol) also the fact that I can join the home group and keep

all my file/folder system and have no restrictions or limits is

fantastic! to me the RT is 90% portable computer and the ONLY thing my RT cant do is install legacy apps....honestly BIG

DEAL?!!! also a lot of people are complaining about the apps

on the store? theres everything that I and others need and use for our needs! so there isn't 50 thousand farting apps or gun

sounds and honestly it gets over redundant and frustrating

with all the same stuff but different names. but the app on MS store is growing daily and lets not forget that the surface

hasn't been around as long as android or apple so it's normal

there isn't as much on there, but that will def change.

Last edited:

Russ

I have no interest whatsoever in your opinions about MS and its business strategy.

Machismo --

The lady is right, you know. The number of people who really care about your opinions is decreasing by the moment. Give it up. Nobody cares. Publicly soiling yourself accomplishes nothing more than embarrassing yourself and us. Give it up. Move on with your life -- if you have one.

Regards,
Russ

p.s.: I own a lot more MS stock than you do, but I consider it to be a long-term investment and am very comfortable with it.