What's new

MS wants us to see them as a hardware company.

machistmo

Despite these "less than rosy" results, things aren't completely grim for Microsoft. They have aggressively cut the pricing on the Surface RT to $350 USD, and they are well on their way toward transforming their business. Sometimes transitions cause deep pains, and that is the nature of adapting to markets. Consumers are a fickle lot.

In the end, Microsoft probably knew the Surface RT wouldn't see much success, but it was never about that initial battle. It's basically a giant marketing stunt designed to alter the public consciousness, so that in the future we view Microsoft as more than just a software company.

Dgstorm posted this in the news sections. I submit, wouldn't an AD campaign have cost less than 1 billion? If they wanted us to see them as more than just a software company, or as a PC Company more to the point, they could have made some PC hardware that people actually bought? Just spit-ballin here, just a thought. Besides they have always been a hardware company. Just not a PC company.

"The Microsoft Hardware Division was founded in 1982 on the principle of deep integration of hardware with software."

Last edited:

DOS

I think the author here is a bit short sighted. I would agree that RT isn’t exactly what Microsoft envisioned, but I don’t believe the Surface RT was designed as an advertising stunt.

I think the $900 million write off was simply to make way for new inventory. I believe we will see a change down the road on the RT name, converting to something more user friendly, like; Windows Lite. I also see the RT OS and Windows Phone OS merging down the road.

As for the Surface itself, I see the future of this unit as a true all-in-one device. The next Surface will be offered with a docking option that will allow the end user to easily use it as a desktop replacement as well as an on-the-go unit. Everyone else seem to be developing a laptop highbred, but when used as a desktop replacement, users will still need to plug/unplug a bunch of cables.

I guess only time will tell…

OP
machistmo

machistmo

Not sure I see RT and the Mobile OS merging, but it could be that serveral hardware versions later they both run a new, common OS.

beman39

I think MS is in the right direction, why limit yourself to just 1 business portion when you can divulge into another realm (hardware) and push your OS on it to boot too! NOW with that said had MS been not so greedy and priced the RT at it's current price they would have blown everyone out of the water also if they would have upped their game and started advertising aggressively (like that ipad VS RT ad) from the get go then they def would have been ahead of the game! it could have been an easier or less painful transition! I think the RT is such a great product and I am enjoying it immensely! the only thing that was holding me back when it first appeared on the market was the high price! the most intelligent thing MS can do is undersale the iPad and get the RT into as many hands as possible! then the rest will work itself out and they will gain a BIG market share!

kristalsoldier

@ machistmo...we get the fact that you have returned the Surface Pro and the RT in the recent past. We also get the fact that you were and are not happy with how either of those two machines worked out for you. But what I don't get is your recent avatar as being an expert commentator on MS's business strategy. Sure, like everyone else, you have your opinion. But over the course of the last 24-36 hours you have started thread after thread which basically are variations in expressions of your dissatisfaction with MS and/ or the Surface devices none of which lend to any great insights into either the devices or the company.

beman39

@ machistmo...we get the fact that you have returned the Surface Pro and the RT in the recent past. We also get the fact that you were and are not happy with how either of those two machines worked out for you. But what I don't get is your recent avatar as being an expert commentator on MS's business strategy. Sure, like everyone else, you have your opinion. But over the course of the last 24-36 hours you have started thread after thread which basically are variations in expressions of your dissatisfaction with MS and/ or the Surface devices none of which lend to any great insights into either the devices or the company.

haha I was gonna say the same thing but then I decided not to say anything...but I agree with ya, and why is machisto here if he doesn't even have the surface anymore? to get everyone else to join his hate the surface bandwagon? sorry but I love my surface and I for one will not jump on that bandwagon, I think he suffers like a lot of others do from "USER over expectation" and as for the performance problems I don't get anything of that and my device runs perfect with no hiccups/slowness he is stating... I can't comment about the pro as I don't have that device so I can't say nothing... I just don't get what the problem is lol

mitchellvii

If the Surface (RT) II is Tegra 4, 1080p with pen and keyboard for under $500 I believe it will be a runaway success. That is the device Surface RT should have been. College students would buy the hell out of this configuration.

pallentx

I think they are on the right track. They just need to keep refining and pushing every way they can to get apps into the app store. That's the #1 thing stifling the Surface products right now.

I would also think they would be well served to offer something bigger to tap into the Ultrabook market a bit. The biggest complaint I've seen of the Pro is that the screen is just too small to be a perfect Ultrabook replacement. Make a Pro version that has a bigger screen and they will move. Just keep the 10" though, because that's the size I prefer ;)