What's new

MS wireless adapter works with my android not with my sp3!?

johnj2803

I recently purchased the MS wireless display adapter and Initially I have been getting the black screen whenenver I am connected. I talked with the MS support and they updated everything that needed updating. And eventually they said that my sony TV is not compatible (we even talked with a sony tech).

So I tried on another TV(an emerson LED TV from walmart). It worked. I was able to update the firmware of the MS wireless dongle as well. SO I thought, I might just be able to make it work with my sony TV.

So I tried and still didn't work. I tried my note 4 which previously didn't work and that WORKED!

Since the dongle definitely works, I was thinking to myself maybe its just a firmware screw up in my surface. So i tried ununstalling some display adapters even the miracast adapters and reinstalling them. but no dice. tried restarting my dongle by pressing the button, still black screen.

My Intel HD graphics family is on version 20.19.15.4331
the firmware on my dongle is version 1.3.8305

So maybe someone can chime in here and help?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 8.1 or 10? You can try an older Video Driver, make sure your Network Connection is on 5GHz, etc.

OP
J

johnj2803

Hi. I'm on windows 10. My network is dual band. Are you saying I should set my sp3 connection to 5ghz? My sp3 is currently connected to my network via the 5ghz spectrum.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. I'm on windows 10. My network is dual band. Are you saying I should set my sp3 connection to 5ghz? My sp3 is currently connected to my network via the 5ghz spectrum.
Yes, Network on 5GHz typically frees up 2.4GHz for Miracast. How Old is the Sony TV?

OP
J

johnj2803

It's frustrating because the wireless display adapter work with the older Tv's in the house. The Sony is my "newest" TV in the house. And I have 3 others that work ok

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's frustrating because the wireless display adapter work with the older Tv's in the house. The Sony is my "newest" TV in the house. And I have 3 others that work ok
I use MSWDA across projectors, TVs, etc. We have them in every conference room and I carry one with me. I don't buy Sony or Samsung TVs as they tend not to play nice with Windows devices historically.