What's new

MUI apps not opening

nipponham

Strange first time behaviour. All except one of my MUI are apps are not opening. They show the splash screen and then immediately return to Start. A couple of them like Google search and Gmaps will stay on the splash screen looking like it's ready to load but never does. The only app that works is IE which is where I'm writing this post from. Desktop apps are working fine as well.

I've checked for updates, rebooted my system and did the two-finger shutdown but this behaviour persists. The only change that I've made recently was to allow sharing of a folder with another pc the other day. Any ideas what the problem might be?

EDIT:
One more thing. After each reboot, IE is not holding on to cookies and I need to log in to accounts each time. What's going on here?

Last edited:
OP
nipponham

nipponham

Well, even after a day of tinkering with settings, I could not get metro apps to open so I restored the system to a previous date and that seemed to have fixed the issue. Metro apps are loading fine and the cookie problem seemed to be resolved... However, IE has reverted to not remembering login details and I am having to log in into sites such as this, each time I use it. Flipboard app also does not remember my details and I need to log in each time. Other apps like Skype, Hyper and my radio app works as normal.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What antivirus are you using. Is it or something else doing cleanup??? or perhaps a setting to delete on exit...

BillJ

I had the same problem, but running the update troubleshooter fixed the problem. Evidently some of the updates did not install completely or entirely properly. I forgot to write down the error messages.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

@kips
I'm not sure which part of that thread pertains to me, but I do not have any DisplayLink software installed.

@GreyFox7
I'm using Kaspersky. Apps and IE are working fine one day, then the next day not. IE and Flipboard are still making me login to accounts each time.

@BillJ
Tried the update troubleshooter but I can't seem to run the file. IE hangs whenever I try. Could this be related to my problem...?

OP
nipponham

nipponham

@plop28
Thanks for the link but I'm having the same problem as the update troubleshooter. I cannot run the diagcab file and IE hangs.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Googled a way to run the diagcab file manually and the app troubleshooter fixed it!! It said something about app files not being saved to default location(?) and the troubleshooter reverted it. I have no idea how this happened but your suggestion fixed it. Flipboard and IE is remembering account details and is saving me from logging in each time.

Thanks!

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Ok, new problem. The app troubleshooter fixed my app problem but now Outlook displays a message saying "Outlook could not create the work file. Check TEMP environment variable". The program works fine, but this message gets displayed whenever I open Outlook and emails. I searched the internet for a solution to this problem and came across this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...le-check/532e19d3-b106-4d28-a5f8-5464dbbe30d7

It fixed the error message, but then IE and Flipboard went back to not remebering my login details... Both of these issues seem deal with placement of temporary internet files but they are clashing with each other. I see solutions for each problem on their own, but together, they have a conflict.

If there are any Windows gurus out there who can give me guidance, I would appreciate it. Cheers.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Futher research has lead to me to believe that registry values have been changed from default. Could someone please check and let me know what you have for default for the following entries in this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
  • {767E6811-49CB-4273-87C2-20F355E1085B}
  • Cache
  • Cookies
From the information I've found, all entries in this key should be starting with %USERPROFILE%, but the above three start with C:\Users\(user name or computer name)...

I tried editing the Cache value and that fixed the Outlook error message but it messed up my Metro app behaviour. I'm thinking that the app troubleshooter is editing the Cache/Cookies value and I will try to edit it manually if I can get the default values.

The alphanumeric string is apparently for pics taken with the SP3 and it's pointing to OneDrive according to my registry. I'm not too worried about this since I haven't experienced any problems with this (yet), but I will edit this too at the same time if I can get the correct value.

Thank you.

leeshor

Just an fyi that %USERPROFILE% is in fact the same thing as C:\Users\(user name or computer name)... It's sorta like a shorcut.