What's new

Multi desktop App

CreativeLemming

[QUOTE="Not sure what multiple desktops would add to that.[/QUOTE]
Depends on what you use your machine for. One desktop for IDE and dev tools, another with multiple powershell windows running tests, a third with onenote and word for updating notes and documentation and a fourth for outlook/lync etc. A simple switch to a new desktop contains exactly what you need nicely arranged for the task in hand. Alt-tabbing all the time to find what you want, then rearranging is a pain. Why do people have multiple monitors?

ScottyS

I tried a multi-desktop app back in Win95. Sounded cool at the time but ended up not ever using it.
For me now the MUI serves as double desktop system. I use MUI apps such as Flipboard, News, Weather, MS Solitaire when I use the Surface as a tablet, and run Outlook, OneNote, PowerPoint, Word etc. when I'm doing "work". So I can swipe from the left to switch back and forth between tablet mode for play and regular Windows apps for work.

Hovering the mouse over the taskbar works great for finding the right open window works as dose Alt+Tab. BTW Shift+Alt+Tab toggles the open window going the opposite order.

But I agree, multiple desktops as Dextop looks nice.

OP
M

mr.dj26

okay to all the guys nagging about ALT+TAB, I do know about it BUT I don't have a keyboard :) as I said I got used to this while using mac and its a matter of preference, no one is forced to use it.

Thanks

OP
M

mr.dj26

I like the idea of more gestures and have installed the touchme gesture and have looked at the desktop idea but I can't see how you would configure it to swap between the desktops as all I can see is a list of pre set options.

Any clues ? Or a set up file to share ?

Thanks.

Hey,

1.go to dexpot setting
2.choose the control box on the left
3.click on the first "+" next to switch desktop
4.click on "next desktop" and on the right side enter the key combination you would like. I choose "Ctrl+Shift+Right" and "Ctrl+Shift+left" for pervious desktop.
5.switch to touchme gesture and choose the what type of gesture you would like to trigger the switch.(I used 5 finger swipe right and left)
6.after choosing the swipe you want, enter the combination you made in dextop setting.

If you would like anymore help let me know

annabanana

Looks interesting to me. It reminds me of Active Frames on BlackBerry 10 phones where you can have multiple apps running and touching one brings it to the foreground. Swiping up puts it back in the active frame, see picture. Does dexpot work with touch? That would be cool.
IMG_20140920_194211.png

RémiM

As Linux really long term user, I can't live without multiple desktops on a "non touchscreen" machine. I personally use 6 desktops on my Linux computer. I also use once a year my windows 7 pro partition, on which find Dexpot to be a really good multi desktops client.

Despite my love for multiple desktops, I don't know if they are very useful on a touchscreen machine. As it was mentioned before, you can swipe from the left and quickly access all your running programs.

Dexpot was one of the first programs I installed on my sp3, but I never used it so far.

The software is good, I recommend it, but in a sp3 the choice of multiple desktops is not the only one you can have.

OP
M

mr.dj26

Looks interesting to me. It reminds me of Active Frames on BlackBerry 10 phones where you can have multiple apps running and touching one brings it to the foreground. Swiping up puts it back in the active frame, see picture. Does dexpot work with touch? That would be cool.
View attachment 3747

Hey,

Yes it does work with touch gestures, you need to install touchme gesture and from there you can configure the touchme app to dexpot settings that you configured in the first place. Check the 17th post.

OP
M

mr.dj26

As Linux really long term user, I can't live without multiple desktops on a "non touchscreen" machine. I personally use 6 desktops on my Linux computer. I also use once a year my windows 7 pro partition, on which find Dexpot to be a really good multi desktops client.

Despite my love for multiple desktops, I don't know if they are very useful on a touchscreen machine. As it was mentioned before, you can swipe from the left and quickly access all your running programs.

Dexpot was one of the first programs I installed on my sp3, but I never used it so far.

The software is good, I recommend it, but in a sp3 the choice of multiple desktops is not the only one you can have.

That good to hear, anyway as I mentioned swiping from the left will only switch to metro app.

RémiM

On my screen, if I swipe on the left side, towards the right, it shows me all the programs running, or open. I am very new with my sp3 though. So maybe I am wrong.

Anyways, I deactivated Dextop from auto-launch. I don't feel I really need no matter what when I launch Windows.

OP
M

mr.dj26

On my screen, if I swipe on the left side, towards the right, it shows me all the programs running, or open. I am very new with my sp3 though. So maybe I am wrong.

Anyways, I deactivated Dextop from auto-launch. I don't feel I really need no matter what when I launch Windows.

Yes, swiping from the left side will only show METRO app which are designed for windows RT(apps from MS store). Desktop apps like Photoshop, OneNote 2013, outlook, etc wont switch when you swipe from the left so to me its useless.