What's new

Multi-Monitor Question

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

If you are using the slider approach it should have the 10.6" at 150 and the 2 23" at 100 but it is possible that Windows isn't able to Negotiate the Handshake with the Monitors running off the USB Adapter.

I think that may be the problem but I'm at work today and won't be able to mess with it again until at least Thursday evening. I have emailed the manufacturer for advice on how to do his. Thanks for all your help on this so far Jeff. I'll report back one way or the other on how this shapes up.

jackh

No worries....happy to help where I can :) Best of luck...

Jeff I have a similar question--I have only 1 external monitor a Samsung 24 Touch Screen native 1920x1080-connected to my surface pro 2 thru the Microsoft Dock mini display port via HDMI TO MONITOR--and in display settings I only have the choice of selecting DISPLAY--1/2 Multiple Monitors --no other choices so when I move the slider even without let me choose 1 scaling level for all displays checked it sets the same sizes on both surface & the Samsung--with everything on the Samsung huge at a slider setting that let's me be able to see the stuff on the surface reasonably well!!

Any Ideas?

In Advance THANKS!!

Jack

bluegrass

jnjroach - You mentioned "I use the Standard 8.1 DPI Slider vs. using the old way of setting the DPI". Help me out. I don't know what the Slider is. Is that a program you got from somewhere?

We have some hamburgers here in St. Louis from White Castle that some people call "Sliders". I just Googled Surface slider and didn't come up with anything that seemed to fit what you're talking about.

Last edited:
OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

jnjroach - You mentioned "I use the Standard 8.1 DPI Slider vs. using the old way of setting the DPI". Help me out. I don't know what the Slider is. Is that a program you got from somewhere?

We have some hamburgers here in St. Louis from White Castle that some people call "Sliders". I just Googled Surface slider and didn't come up with anything that seemed to fit what you're talking about.

If you uncheck the Box in the picture below you get the slider bar.

One Note Clip.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff I have a similar question--I have only 1 external monitor a Samsung 24 Touch Screen native 1920x1080-connected to my surface pro 2 thru the Microsoft Dock mini display port via HDMI TO MONITOR--and in display settings I only have the choice of selecting DISPLAY--1/2 Multiple Monitors --no other choices so when I move the slider even without let me choose 1 scaling level for all displays checked it sets the same sizes on both surface & the Samsung--with everything on the Samsung huge at a slider setting that let's me be able to see the stuff on the surface reasonably well!!

Any Ideas?

In Advance THANKS!!

Jack

Hmmm...what do you mean huge?

Here are photos of my Pro 2 and Samsung 24" 1080p Monitor with the Slider all the way to the left.

Together:

WP_20140122_14_25_44_Pro.jpg

External Display:

WP_20140122_14_25_55_Pro.jpg

Surface Display:

WP_20140122_14_26_01_Pro.jpg

Screenshot of Both:

Screenshot (8).png

With the Screenshot, they sized appropriately for the resolution and screen size so the appear the same (150 on the Pro = 100 on the External)

bluegrass

If you uncheck the Box in the picture below you get the slider bar.

View attachment 1547

On my screen that looks like this. I have to have one of 100-125-150 checked. I can't uncheck them all. Never mind. I see what you meant for me to uncheck. I played with the slider before but it didn't seem to offer me anything I could do with the 3 buttons.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On my screen that looks like this. I have to have one of 100-125-150 checked. I can't uncheck them all. Never mind. I see what you meant for me to uncheck. I played with the slider before but it didn't seem to offer me anything I could do with the 3 buttons.

Thanks for your help.

What the slider does that the three button can't is size the UI based on Screen Size and Resolution, so on a High DPI Screen like the Pro or Pro 2 it runs the UI elements at 150% but on a Lower DPI 24" 1080p it runs at 100%, making the UI elements roughly the same size between the screens.

jackh

What the slider does that the three button can't is size the UI based on Screen Size and Resolution, so on a High DPI Screen like the Pro or Pro 2 it runs the UI elements at 150% but on a Lower DPI 24" 1080p it runs at 100%, making the UI elements roughly the same size between the screens.

Jeff How are your monitors set up in Display settings & Screen Resolution? I can ONLY choose 1/2 Multiple Monitors in the dropdown 1st setting(DISPLAY)--And what do you set in the dropdown For Multiple Displays?

Jack

surfdock

Windows 8.1 multi-mon DPI scaling

Folks, if you want to learn how Windows 8.1 does DPI scaling across multiple monitors with different DPI, see this blog post:
Windows 8.1 DPI Scaling Enhancements

Windows 8.1 has an algorithm that takes the manufacturer supplied info about all the panels attached to the system including resolution and physical size, and adjusts the scaling factor on each monitor so that they match as closely as possible. There are some limitations with this approach and the behavior is quite different than Windows 8. For performance and other reasons, the individual monitor scaling factors that are automatically chosen are those familiar steps: 100%, 125% 150% 200%, etc. You can't select arbitrary scaling factors on each screen individual to get things to match 100%.

When you drag a windows from one screen to another screen with vastly different DPI, you'll see an effect where the window scaling dynamically shifts as you move your mouse over the threshold. Its a little weird at first, but I find it works a lot better than the old Windows 7/Windows 8 way.

I like to use my Surface Pro right next to my main monitors because I don't like wasting that beautiful tablet screen. My big screens are older Dell 1920x1200 24" models, so they have less than half the DPI of the Surface Pro: