What's new

Multiple accounts driving me mad!

CrippsCorner

Recently moved in with my girlfriend and am in the process of setting her up her own account on my Surface.

Now one of the first things I do when getting a new computer is disable the need for a password on boot... it took me a while to get to where I am now, in that her account now exists on boot, however only my account shows at first, until I hit a back arrow where the choice of logging into either ours shows up. Firstly I'd like to get to that stage straight away, why's that arrow stage there!? Secondly, I can't work out how to delete password authorisation for more than one account.

But... tl;dr how do I get it to show up both our accounts on boot, and not require a password? I have this set up on an old Window 7 PC and it was no problem at all!

leeshor

Try this, admin cmd prompt type netplwiz the uncheck the pw box and enter your pw twice for both accounts. OK and restart.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Okay tried that and on restart it just logged straight into my account without any choice at all (didn't ask for a password)

After, I can click on my username and select Ashleigh and then it pops up asking for her password... and if I press back (as in going back to my account) it asks for my password too!

leeshor

Try entering the wizard again and check the box this time for both and see what happens then restart and try the first method again. On a restart it should present you with 2 icons and eventually not ask for a password.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Check the box for both? There's only one box there to check...

Anyway, I did revert back to how it was originally and once again it only shows my log in, and asks for a password :(

leeshor

It sounds as if there is only one active account. When you bring up that wzard it should show both.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Sorry, the wizard does show both my account and Ashleigh's account (as well as two others, strangely) but what I meant is that there's only one check box at the top for using (or not using) passwords.

leeshor

That's strange. You should be able to click on the account and control one independently of the other

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Okay this is what I get... when the box is unchecked I cannot click on anything; I can't even click on another username and it to be selected (i.e. go blue)

<screenshot removed for security>

When the box is checked I can click on any account and these are the options I'm presented with for changing the passwords...

• Password for example@hotmail.com - You cannot change the password for example @hotmail.com.
  • Password for HomeGroupUser$ - To change the password for HomeGroupUser$, click Reset Password.
  • Password for example@hotmail.com - You cannot change the password for [email protected].
  • Password for example@hotmail.com - To change your password, go to PC settings and select Users.
<removed email addresses so bots could not harvest - please edit screenshot for your protection- Moods>