What's new

Multiple Display Issues

mjbaconsulting

Hi!

We are using a Surface Pro 6 with the new Surface Pro Dock. My user is running two screens out of this dock, for a total of three. When she leaves her desk and the displays sleep, both screens won't reconnect. The fix for this is to unplug the connection cable between the Surface Pro and the dock so that the connections are reset. The weird piece is that the monitor that won't reconnect varies between the two ... it isn't consistently one monitor that fails to reconnect.

Has anyone else had this issue and have you found any other workarounds besides unplugging the connection?

Thanks much!

Turbo4AWD

Hi!

We are using a Surface Pro 6 with the new Surface Pro Dock. My user is running two screens out of this dock, for a total of three. When she leaves her desk and the displays sleep, both screens won't reconnect. The fix for this is to unplug the connection cable between the Surface Pro and the dock so that the connections are reset. The weird piece is that the monitor that won't reconnect varies between the two ... it isn't consistently one monitor that fails to reconnect.

Has anyone else had this issue and have you found any other workarounds besides unplugging the connection?

Thanks much!

This used to happen to Dell Docking stations all of the time. Sometimes you have to pull the power cord from the dock to resolve the issue for a while and then it may return after 6 months, but your issue seems to be power management. How are the other screens connected? Are any of them using USB Display Adapters or are you just using hdmi/displayport/vga?

OP
M

mjbaconsulting

Hi, Turbo4AWD! Thanks for your response!

Both of the screens are DVI going into an adapter and then connecting into the dock as mini display port.

I'll give the dock power cord a shot!

Turbo4AWD

Hi, Turbo4AWD! Thanks for your response!

Both of the screens are DVI going into an adapter and then connecting into the dock as mini display port.

I'll give the dock power cord a shot!

Ok! Keep me posted! Also, check Device Manager to see if Windows Power Management is turning off the mini display port off to "save power". Make sure that box is unchecked. This would potentially cause your issue as well.

Turbo4AWD

Lastly, check to make sure the docking station does not need a firmware update. That would usually show up if you check for windows updates on the machine while it's docked though.

OP
M

mjbaconsulting

Thanks so much for your assistance! I did do a firmware update last week to see if that would help, but unfortunately it didn't. I'll remote into my user's Surface when she's out of the office to check the power management. I just pulled up device manager on my side ... where can I find the Windows Power Management (see attached screenshot)? Or should I go in through the Power Plan Settings section?

I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

Attachments

• Device Manager.PNG
    Device Manager.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 605

Turbo4AWD

Each device in Device Manager usually has a "power management" tab. See if you can uncheck the box for "allow windows to power this device off to save power" for either the Surface Pro Dock Port, Mini Display Port, or even the USB port. See if that helps. Otherwise, usually, if you use the "high performance" plan in power management, it is supposed to essentially do this same exact thing. Let me know what you find.

OP
M

mjbaconsulting

Ah -- gotcha! I found that tab on a few of the devices! I'll try both options -- disabling that and also the high performance plan. Thanks again for your advice! I should be able to attempt this tomorrow!

OP
M

mjbaconsulting

Hey, Turbo4AWD!
I changed the power management settings to high performance, but it still occurred! I wonder if it is an issue with the monitor itself... seems odd, but possible I guess. Thanks so much for your help, though -- I appreciate your time!

Turbo4AWD

Hey, Turbo4AWD!
I changed the power management settings to high performance, but it still occurred! I wonder if it is an issue with the monitor itself... seems odd, but possible I guess. Thanks so much for your help, though -- I appreciate your time!

Actually, my previous employer gave me a Surface dock (not the one that the Surface sits in, but connects via the proprietary port) and I just updated the firmware myself. I will test this issue and see if I experience the same issue.

OP
M

mjbaconsulting

Awesome -- thanks, Turbo4AWD! The user said she hasn't had it happen in the last two days, so maybe we're over the issue ... but if you find anything with your dock, give me a shout :)