What's new

Multiple displays, dp 1.2 monitors?

sdgmcdon

I'm coming from a desktop setup with 3x24" monitors for business use, no graphics stuff or gaming. I'm having trouble finding the right screens to replace my current 3x24 setup to use with my surface pro 2. Mostly the problem is anywhere i look doesn't explicitly state "2 display ports one is 1.2 dp out" (or similar).

Having to replace my screens was an unforeseen expense yet i still want to stick the surface pro 2, but being an added expense, I'm not willing to spend as much on screens as I did on the surface itself...

So far, I'm thinking start with one, and possibly get another of the AOC 21:9 aspect ratio 29"s ($379). But are there any 23" or better dp 1.2 capable 16:9's that are relatively inexpensive that would work (3 total) for the surface pro 2 daisy chained?

Any / all suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated.

GoodBytes

The Dell U2414H is what you need.
Dell UltraSharp 24" Monitor ? U2414H Full HD

Although, I don't know if 3 monitors daisy chained will work. By for 2, people have done it, and works fine. Technically speaking it should work up to 4 (assuming the Surface Pro 2 display is not in use), based on DisplyPort specification. But the Surface Pro 2 is using an Intel integrated graphics, so I have a certain lack of trust, not believe what Intel says, because it's mostly false information (eg: 4K support is only at 30Hz not 60Hz, plug and it works for multiple monitor is not true, does not actually fully support DirectX and OpenGL, etc.)

The monitor is the only consumer grade monitor that feature true thinner boarder (the rest are normal border sizes, but a glass on it, and they call it "super thin", when it's just lies).
It is using an LG 6-bit AH-IPS panel, none glossy so that you can focus on your work and not fight reflections, and are 1920x1080 resolution and it features DisplayPort 1.2 support, and daisy chaining ability, as you wanted.

The monitor features a solid stand, fully adjustable, with of course as we expect none the less from Dell, metal mechanical system (although these days, they pretty much all uses metal mechanical system, as I think companies released people don't appreciate their monitor anymore, when it just uses tightly set plastic to hold the monitor in place, and becomes lose and fall over time). It also have a USB 3.0 powered hub, and comes with sRGB manufacture color calibrated profile, with report. Ready to be selected from the monitor on screen menu for great colors (the calibration is only a quick one, and not sufficient for color critical work, but it is better than nothing, is the way I see it).

In addition, the monitor does not use a PWM to control the backlight illumination, and rather opt for a more expensive and better dimming circuit. So if you are sensitive to PWM driven back light monitors, this is a must.
I know this point doesn't concern you, but I'll say it for other reading this, it has good true response time, making great for fast action paste gaming, and movie watching. And has a near 0ms input lag (this is due to the lack of color processor, and other fancier features that are commonly found on higher end monitors).

If you want an in-depth monitor review of it: Dell U2414H Review

Dell monitors comes with a 3 year warranty, with a competitive: 6 or more dead pixel for being eligible for a replacement, and 1 or more stuck or bright pixel. No zone or distance crap policy to not cover you.
For any warranty claims, Dell pays shipping both directions. In fact, you get to keep the monitor (no hold, or credit card charges) while you wait receive the replacement one, and all you need to do it swamp the faulty monitor with the replacement one, and you'll find in the box of the replacement one, a pre-paid shipping label ready to stick over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

These days, there seems to be some dumbing-down of the tech specs that are posted online for some products. When the SP1 was released, many people had questions as to whether its DP port was 1.2 or not, but you couldn't find that information posted in the tech specs at all.

It's so frustrating when you want to find out these details before you spend your money and then have to worry about returns/exchanges, etc. I am using the Dell U3014 (DP 1.2) daisy-chained with the U3011 (DP 1.1) and before I bought the U3014, I called Sales and spoke with an agent, asking him the specific technical questions.

Another method I use is to see if you can download the user manual, doing an internet search if necessary, and then search through the manual.

As for your 3 monitors, DP 1.2 can support up to 5 monitors, but it all depends on the resolution. See the following link for details:

Driving Multiple Displays from a Single DisplayPort Output | DisplayPort

GoodBytes

Like I said, DP 1.2 support up 4 @ 1080p (and 1920x1200), but the problem I have, is my lack of trust in Intel, which unless it's tested by someone, I would not give it "Yes you can do it" claim.
If it was Nvidia or AMD, sure. No problem. But Intel has been caught with lies and lies and more lies, and treating consumers like morons.

Another example:
[video=youtube;Otcge1cn8Os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otcge1cn8Os[/video]

So all I am saying is technically it's supposed to work. But because it's Intel, you have to be careful, and not trust what they say, and really dig through for the facts.

2 Monitors works, someone have done it.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...sy-chaining-monitors-displayport-1-2-a-4.html

But 3 externals ones. I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

I'm running two 2560x1600 externals and per my link above from DisplayPort.org, that's the maximum number of externals that is supported by DP 1.2. The info on the DisplayPort.org site specifically states the maximum number of monitors supported at the various resolutions.

Before the SP2, my workaround for having multiple 2560x1600 externals was to have one connected via DP and the other via USB 3.0 (on a hub). That worked great and even though it shared bandwidth with other devices, I never noticed any lag whatsoever.