What's new

Multiple external monitor requirements

Josh Tench

Hi,

I'm 6 months in with a MS SP 2017 and loving it. I'm using it predominantly for work (consulting using lots of MS Office) and for its size and weight completely unmatched.

However, where I'm having difficulty is with making the most of external monitors. At a client's site they were using Philips B-line monitors which daisy chain and output through DP-Alt. It was awesome! I was able to functionally use 3x 25" HD monitors plus the SP display.

Returning to my home office (we're behind the times) I purchased a mDP adapter aiming to get the same outcome and I can use 3 displays in total (also HD).

I'm looking to setup a new home office, buying as many monitors as I can feasibly use. Does anyone know of the specifications required to get back to at least a 3 + 1 output?

Higher resolutions are great but refresh rate is of little concern for me, I'm not gaming.

TIA,
Josh

EDIT: If it makes any difference I'm running with the i7 and 16GB RAM

Oherzog

Hi,
I'm using the LG 43UD79T with 3840 x 2160 @60Hz right off one display port of the docking station in addition to the SP4 2017 display - no need for several displays any more...
Otthein

OP
J

Josh Tench

Nice monitor, but it's not really the layout that I'm really looking for.

2x ultrawide monitors would meet the ideal outcome but the ultrawide monitors are EXPENSIVE.

Scott Wells

Nice monitor, but it's not really the layout that I'm really looking for.

2x ultrawide monitors would meet the ideal outcome but the ultrawide monitors are EXPENSIVE.
I just got a 34" Dell 21:9 for $600 shipped from Amazon. I'm planning to get a second once my new home office desk comes in. I'm using DisplayFusion to split it into multiple virtual monitors.