What's new

Muscle Wire - Removing the Screen

SeanP

Has anyone else attempted this? What was the result? Was it easy for you to remove it?

I have had the worst time removing it with one side getting completely stuck. Then I panic because I could not get it back together again. I decided to push harder and it finally went back together.

And over the last hour, on top of it, now the keyboard is freezing and the display is flickering different colors. This is unreal.

fonzman78

I haven't had any issues yet. My clipboard comes off and on really easy. I know this is petty, but make sure you wait the second or two before pulling off the clipboard.

Nothing wrong with the keyboard freezing. I've played with my SB most of the day and everything seems ok. I did have a problem where it became confused about whether or not the clipboard was attached. This happened after testing on/off several times in a row. I'll see if it happens again with normal use.

OP
S

SeanP

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough. I thought I was. All the videos show it easily removed wig one hand. Not even close for me. It's like trying to remove two very strong magnets so much so I feel like it's going to fly out of my hands.

fonzman78

Really sounds like you're not waiting long enough. There is a distinct 'click' after a second or two notifying you that it is ready to detach. It then comes off easily with one hand. At least for me it does

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really sounds like you're not waiting long enough. There is a distinct 'click' after a second or two notifying you that it is ready to detach. It then comes off easily with one hand. At least for me it does
I thought there was an indicator light. No?

netuser

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough. I thought I was. All the videos show it easily removed wig one hand. Not even close for me. It's like trying to remove two very strong magnets so much so I feel like it's going to fly out of my hands.
Actually, I noticed several videos where the release does't work properly.
I have seen multiple videos where only one side releases and you have to reinsert it and try again to remove it.
I have seen videos where the release fails with error:
"Latch failed to open" red error box.

Doesn't looks smooth and intuitive to release at all. Janky.
Looks like this will fail and need warranty repairs after a short time.
This is a bigger issue than wobbling screen.

fonzman78

Actually, I noticed several videos where the release does't work properly.
I have seen multiple videos where only one side releases and you have to reinsert it and try again to remove it.
I have seen videos where the release fails with error:
"Latch failed to open" red error box.

Doesn't looks smooth and intuitive to release at all. Janky.
Looks like this will fail and need warranty repairs after a short time.
This is a bigger issue than wobbling screen.

Do you own one to make a prediction that it will fail? I've seen videos of cell phones spontaneously bursting into flames. Or of iPhone 6's bending. That didn't stop folks from purchasing these devices.

I suppose time will tell if it fails or not. For now, several of us don't have issues taking the clipboard off. Neither this or the (non) wobbling screen is a problem I've encountered. But then, I'm very patient when using a new device. So far, the SB is an awesome device.

Now, back to Fall Out New Vegas. It runs perfectly. I hope to say the same about Fall Out 4.

netuser

This one was a Microsoft rep demoing the unit in Japan and he had to hastily move it off screen when the release failed on camera.

Last edited:

mkenny28

in the above youtube video, what was the battery percentage? They seem to be charging the surface book so no telling how low the battery actually is. If the battery is too low it won't let you detach the screen. An interviewer ran into this very same thing.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You must remember that rather strong magnets continue to hold the screen even after the latch is disconnected by pressing the button. This way, only one hand is needed to latch or unlatch. But it takes a little tug to overcome the magnets.