What's new

Muscle Wire - Removing the Screen

OP
S

SeanP

You must remember that rather strong magnets continue to hold the screen even after the latch is disconnected by pressing the button. This way, only one hand is needed to latch or unlatch. But it takes a little tug to overcome the magnets.

Thought I was not waiting long enough but I was wrong. I had my wife try it. My 18 year old son try it. ALL failed every time to remove it. The only way to remove my screen is to pull on it with a lot more force then should be needed, and it's only on the left side, not the right side. It slides back in with zero issues or resistance so it's my opinion there's something wrong with the release on that side.

I am afraid I am going to break the screen at this rate and will be trying to get it replaced.

I have seen videos where you hit the release button, wait a second or two, and lift it out with one hand. Impossible for me to do and many times I don't pull it out far enough and half the screen remains attached (the left side).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe you got a unit with a weak muscle wire and it needs to go back to the gym for some strength training. :)

BTW I assume then you always lift it from the right? Regardless, it does sound like you were unfortunate and need to pursue getting a replacement.

Johnny365

So is the tablet able to by physically separated without pressing the unlock button? Or is it a physical connection that no amount of tugging will remove it? Just how strong are you, muckle wire!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is the tablet able to by physically separated without pressing the unlock button? Or is it a physical connection that no amount of tugging will remove it? Just how strong are you, muckle wire!

The tablet is physically attached. If the book does not have battery power then you cannot remove it.

OP
S

SeanP

Maybe you got a unit with a weak muscle wire and it needs to go back to the gym for some strength training. :)

BTW I assume then you always lift it from the right? Regardless, it does sound like you were unfortunate and need to pursue getting a replacement.

So I thought maybe I was not waiting long enough so I did, I hear the click, and it says "Ready to Detach". Then I attempt and same issue. The right side comes right up, the left stays locked.

I even tried removing strictly from the left side and no dice. And if I REALLY yank it then it comes apart but with a loud "snap" noise. I take that to mean that the "muscle wire" is being overridden by force, and that means damage will occur if I continue to do that.

What a massive disappointment. Looks like I am going to need an entirely new machine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you identified it as a tablet or keyboard "issue"? i.e if you flip the tablet the other way around and remove, does the promblem occur on the left side of the keyboard, or is it now flipped to the right side?

netuser

The best way to spin this is that the problem is removing instead of attaching. If it was easy to remove, but you couldn't redock it again, it would have been a worse problem.
You can just stop trying to remove it and pretend it doesn't come apart. One day Microsoft will have a fix and you can try detaching it again at that point.

OP
S

SeanP

Posted in different thread but went to MS store today. The techs that worked on it were able to determine it is 100% a hardware issue. Apparently the left side is not releasing at all. They told me the mechanism is actually in the screen not the keyboard base. When they spun the screen around for Clipboard mode the RIGHT side then would not release.

Problem is, no machines at all in stock or anywhere in the area.

Nightmare.

I will need to contact MS and get them to ship me a replacement ASAP. I will assume that due to the fact they are new machines and backordered I'd get a BRAND NEW device vs refurb. I do not want a refurb given the amount of $ I paid for this.

Oh..and I was not the first person to have this issue. When leaving the store, guy behind me had the exact same hardware problem but on the right side of the screen.

Korlon

I would go ahead and get a refund on the machine, if you can live without one for a while. Then purchase a new machine when new stock is available. Don't rely on MS to give you a new machine, especially now when they are having difficulty keeping up with demand. MS doesn't have the greatest customer service.

malberttoo

Posted in different thread but went to MS store today. The techs that worked on it were able to determine it is 100% a hardware issue. Apparently the left side is not releasing at all. They told me the mechanism is actually in the screen not the keyboard base. When they spun the screen around for Clipboard mode the RIGHT side then would not release.

Problem is, no machines at all in stock or anywhere in the area.

Nightmare.

I will need to contact MS and get them to ship me a replacement ASAP. I will assume that due to the fact they are new machines and backordered I'd get a BRAND NEW device vs refurb. I do not want a refurb given the amount of $ I paid for this.

Oh..and I was not the first person to have this issue. When leaving the store, guy behind me had the exact same hardware problem but on the right side of the screen.

I would go ahead and get a refund on the machine, if you can live without one for a while. Then purchase a new machine when new stock is available. Don't rely on MS to give you a new machine, especially now when they are having difficulty keeping up with demand. MS doesn't have the greatest customer service.

Completely agree with this. @SeanP, the only way to guarantee that you get a new unit is to completely return your existing one for a refund, pronto. It will be a pain yes, because you will probably have to wait a little bit for new stock to arrive, but then you can be confident you're getting a brand new one. Microsoft has no obligation that I'm aware of to replace your defective unit with a new one.