What's new

Music App: Will it always say "Its lonely here" if I use an SD card?

Arctherus

All my music is on my sd card and I have no plans to transfer the files to my Surface. Aside from being able to play my music by "open or play something" is there a better way to navigate through my music?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I created the Symbolic Links to my SD Card and added them to my Libraries and made them the default location. The Xbox music app has cataloged all of my music, it took about 45 to 60 minutes to complete.

OP
A

Arctherus

How do I go about doing that? I used the guide on here, and I can browse my music, just I have to open up my files via the music app.

OP
A

Arctherus

I used a different set of instructions from that topic, I figured the easier instructions would accomplish the same thing but I guess Ill have to try the original post's instructions. Lol.

ArnoldC

A few things about this issue... a) redirection to the microSD will address saving files into them, b) indexing is a totally different issue as it will not index the microSD card, like it would an external hard disk. Otherwise, it will be as easy as adding the external path into the Library and it will automatically create the entry for the index. Simple. But not so when using microSD.

TrentonT

A few things about this issue... a) redirection to the microSD will address saving files into them, b) indexing is a totally different issue as it will not index the microSD card, like it would an external hard disk. Otherwise, it will be as easy as adding the external path into the Library and it will automatically create the entry for the index. Simple. But not so when using microSD.
Hi Arnold the instruction in the "Microsoft Surface FAQ & Guides" from the forums Menu covers indexing and I have had no issues with it. It does not change the location of your "My Music" folder it just maps your SD card folder to the C:\ and allows you to add as a location in your music library you must copy your files to the SD card folder.