What's new

Music app

dallasfreak

OK the music app sucks ,sucks sucks once again it cuts off lags what the hell its a music app.how the hell can MS get this so wrong !!!! already called ,deleted updated ,restarted , updated ,deleted .....hello none of the above works !!!! the help was great on the phone but two hours later the same thing....Can anyone help on this issue or know of a good app to play music from sd card ,cloud and xbox music.Thanks MR.without Music:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bosamar

I've got 2,000 songs on my Class 10 microSD card and the music app displays and plays all just fine. Now as for the app itself..... I'm not impressed, especially with knowledge of the Zune player and the Win Phone 7 music app. Sure would like to see a Zune-type app soon.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Music app

See MS-answers-forum and you'll noticed: you're not alone. Playback of music from internal/external memory is just fine (after the last update), but the overall performance (esp. streaming music) is really .... That's why i'm just going for a monthly x-box music-pass unitl they'll have fixed the problems or spotify get a metro-app.

Russ

dallasfreak, et al --

I don't see the problem. I have about 1,000 songs on an SD card, and the Music app plays them flawlessly -- no cut-offs, no lag. I don't like the Music app, but only because I don't want to look at all the advertising just to hear a little music. For that reason only, I installed the Multimedia8 music player. It performs just like the Music app, but without all the advertising.

Regards,
Russ

pallentx

When you all say you are playing songs from an SD card, are they added to your library, or are you browsing to the folder and playing? If they're in your library, how did you get them there? Is new stuff automatically added?

I tried creating a virtual hard drive on the SD card and mounting it in the C drive, but when I try to mount it to the folder, it fails with a rather generic error. When I try to mount it manually, the option is grayed out.

Multimedia 8 is nice, but lacks aesthetically - no album cover art when browsing your library and such, just folders.

Russ

PallenTx --

1 - "When you all say you are playing songs from an SD card, are they added to your library, or are you browsing to the folder and playing?" -- I have two or three playlists that I most often use. My music listening is usually just background accomapaniment while I sit down by the firepit and read. Or, when the WiFi works right, sit out on the swing and browse the web or read.

2 - "If they're in your library, how did you get them there?" -- The answers are (a) they appear to be, and (b) I have no idea. After reading your question, I went and looked in "My Music," and there they are. The MS music app may have done it. I tried it first, before deciding I didn't like it.

3 - "Is new stuff automatically added?" -- Well, I guess. If I move new songs to the D:\Music folder, they appear in Multimedia8 next time I open it.

4 - "Multimedia 8 is nice, but lacks aesthetically - no album cover art when browsing your library and such, just folders." -- That suits me just fine. I just want to listen to it -- not look at it.

Now, if I could just coax a little more volume out of those speakers, all would be well. They really aren't loud enough for comfortable listening. I did order a Bluetooth speaker, but hate having to add another gadget to do something that I expected the tablet to do.

Hope some of that helps.

Take care,
Russ

pallentx

Thanks for the how-tos. I was over-complicating it. Now my music is showing up after mounting the SD card in C. The step I was missing was removing the default drive letter first. If Windows has already assigned a default drive letter, the option to mount to a folder will be grayed out.

Russ, I'm assuming you followed some of the above processes since you are not allowed to directly add files to your libraries from removable media.
The aesthetics with Multimedia 8 are more than just album art, though having the art makes it faster and easier for me to find my stuff - scanning for a picture is faster for me than reading folder names. My folder names and structures are not always perfectly organized - a player like Zune that reads the album and track metadata does a better job than my folder structure. Oh, well, maybe this will finally make me get more organized...

The music app makes me crazy - I cant easily play a single album from an artist when I browse by artist. This is what I do most instead of making playlists or browsing by albums.

I also wish the speakers were a bit louder, but I'm very happy to get pretty nice stereo sound out of them. This was a nice pleasant surprise coming from an iPad.

Last edited:

ArnoldC

The music app makes me crazy - I cant easily play a single album from an artist when I browse by artist. This is what I do most instead of making playlists or browsing by albums.
Yes, you can. I do it everyday.

Screenshot14.png

pallentx

How did you get to that screen?
On mine, there is no drop down list. When you pick "Artist", it lists all the songs by that artist in one big list.
Screen.png

Russ

Russ, I'm assuming you followed some of the above processes since you are not allowed to directly add files to your libraries from removable media.

I also wish the speakers were a bit louder, but I'm very happy to get pretty nice stereo sound out of them. This was a nice pleasant surprise coming from an iPad.

PallenTX --

Ok, you have forced me into an admission: I have no idea how I did some of that stuff. Satisfied? :)

The day the Surface arrived, I knew it would occupy my evening, so had an early dinner, put on some music, put the Surface and a bottle of wine on my coffee table -- and began to play. I am a long-time (more like long-long-time) computer user, so sometimes I try stuff that might not occur to other people, and sometimes I'm not sure how I got there after I have arrived.

Take care,

Russ

Last edited: