What's new

Must Have Surface Pro 4 Accessories?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi X432g, welcome to the forum (I've moved this thread to a more appropriate section)

Regarding must have accessories, well I would personally say none. It entirely depends on what you intend to do with the machine. One would argue that even the keyboard is not a must have if you purely intend to use it as a tablet (although it does make a great screen cover, but a pretty expensive one!)

The only things I have personally found need for are the keyboard, and the new dock. With those two my surface is unstoppable for a work machine :)

Think of it as a website offering a list of "must have" mobile phone apps. They just list what is popular, nothing more. Supposedly I have to have instagram, pinterest, whatsapp, but nope, no need at all :) I'd suggest keeping hold of your money and working out what you need, not what you're told you need.

OP
X

X432g

Hey Hughlle, thanks for your reply!

The keyboard and the dock are crazily expensive that's why. Also, how is your battery life of the surface pro 4? I am getting 3 hours from pure video stream, it is kinda disappointing :(

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, they are expensive but for my use they are vital, so took the plunge. The dock can be replaced with something like a usb dock, a lot cheaper, but not as convenient. I bought one, but replaced it with the official dock after a while.

Regarding battery life, I can't say. My SP4 does not get used on battery for anything other than office applications, 99% of which is onenote, nothing else. Then I get 8-9 hours.

eholbik

Just got my surface pro 4 last week and it was a beast!

Any one has must have surface pro 4 accessories to recommend?

I saw this list, but I wanted more accessories as a reference: Top 10 Best Surface Pro 4 Accessories Case 2016 & 2017 Reviews on Flipboard

I have the following accessories:

Type Cover
Surface Arch Mouse. ( I like it-- recommend)
Surface Dock. (total disappointment-- unable to extend 2 VGA monitors-- waste of $$$$. )
Battery Power Bank -- Qi Infinity 35,000 may. (pretty good battery pack-- I think I have charge the surface 2 to 2.5 times). Used on a long 13 hour flight and it was a lifesaver.
Microsoft Wireless Display adaptor --- works pretty good. I might pick up another to leave it connected to the TV in bedroom. ( currently connected to the living room TV)
MiniDisplay to VGA (passive) for connecting to VGA monitors or projectors.
MiniDisplay to HDMI cable ( 10 Ft). As a backup for traveling so that I don't take the wireless adaptor with me.
Doosl wireless presenter -- used for powerpoint presentations

I want to get a Skin for the Surface and probably a sleeve for additional protection when traveling or not using my laptop bag.

Sent from mTalk

jrioux

I only have the following accessories for my SP3:

Keyboard
BT mouse
Video adapter (MiniDisplay to VGA & HDMI)
USB hub

I don't use the last two often.

CCalvinN

I have to agree with hughlle... it really depends on what you are using your SP4 for. I mainly use it in my living room next to the TV. 90% of the time I use it as a pure tablet and have no accessories connected to it. That 10% remaining though I use the type cover when I want to type out something more than a line or two of text. Plus the type cover is connected while the SP4 sits on the table with the kickstand just to keep the screen covered. I've never used the dock, between the touch screen and touch pad on the type cover have no need for a mouse, and don't use it for more than a couple hours at a time so have no need to extend the battery. I don't draw on it so have no need for extra pens.

OP
X

X432g

Cool, thanks for all your replies guys.

I have decided to go with:

1) Surface pro 4 type cover
2) Video adapter (MiniDisplay to VGA & HDMI)

Apart from that, do you know of any good docks that are 3rd party? (IE not official microsoft brand). Those MS docks are crazily expensive!

eholbik

I also got a spare battery adaptor for my bedroom and the car adapter as well. Got both bundled off amazon for like $20 bucks... well worth it.

Sent from mTalk

jrioux

...do you know of any good docks that are 3rd party? (IE not official microsoft brand). Those MS docks are crazily expensive!
eTauro offers a few different docks designed specifically for the Surface Pro 3 & 4. I haven't tried them, but they look intriguing.
WeChatImage635528909478516318.jpg