What's new

my base died on my surface book 2 15inch. is there a way to manually detach?

chekhonte

Okay, so i got the base of my surface book 2 wet with delive seltzer and it died. Imports don’t register, the touchpad doesn’t work. The screen portion still works but I can’t detach it since it doesn’t recognize that the base is still attached. T i can’t use the detach button because the base is dead and the icon to detach isn’t showing. to make matters worse the battery died and won’t charge through the dead base.

is there any mechanical way to detach the screen like there was on the first surface book?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, sorry about the water damage.

Try holding down POWER + VOLUME UP for 22 seconds, which is normally a power reset or boot to BIOS method. It may be able to sense that you are connected to the base, and then provide an icon which you can use to detach.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Unfortunately the battery completely is dead and won’t charge through the base. I remembered last night that I got the square trade insurance when I bought it two years ago. I’m sending it in.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so i got the base of my surface book 2 wet with delive seltzer and it died. Imports don’t register, the touchpad doesn’t work. The screen portion still works but I can’t detach it since it doesn’t recognize that the base is still attached. T i can’t use the detach button because the base is dead and the icon to detach isn’t showing. to make matters worse the battery died and won’t charge through the dead base.

is there any mechanical way to detach the screen like there was on the first surface book?
Sorry I missed this, there is a manual release discussed here

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

I tired that manual release and just couldn't get it to work. The vents are totally different on the surfacebook 2 than on the original. I couldn't find the manual release.

In other news I did get a replacement unit which means I have another year of microsoft warranty. :cool: