What's new

Solved My brother changed login password of SP4

lavaliga

I share an Surface Pro 4 with my younger brother. We mostly use the tablet for homework and gaming. However, he changed the login password yesterday and he told me he can't remember the password now. Do I need to hand the tablet to Microsoft support to unlock the password or is there another way around? thanks

Votality

I share an Surface Pro 4 with my younger brother. We mostly use the tablet for homework and gaming. However, he changed the login password yesterday and he told me he can't remember the password now. Do I need to hand the tablet to Microsoft support to unlock the password or is there another way around? thanks

No. But you need someone to make you a bootable usb that can reset the password in the sam. Format a usb with fat32 and unzip the bmr image that you can download from ms.

You can then boot it via the alternate boot sequence to boot off usb by holding down vol down then pressing power for a second then releasing it (keep holding vol down until you see the surface logo then the little dots)

Then try. Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset from here How to Change or Reset a Windows 10 Password | NotebookReview.com

You may also be able to get it to boot to the recovery menu on the ssd without the usb by hard powering it off when it boots up by holding down the power button for 30 seconds on boot. Do that twice and i think it will boot to the recovery menu. (I don't advocate this method)

Last edited:
OP
L

lavaliga

No. But you need someone to make you a bootable usb that can reset the password in the sam. Format a usb with fat32 and unzip the bmr image that you can download from ms.

Then try. Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset from here How to Change or Reset a Windows 10 Password | NotebookReview.com

really appreciated for the reply. The method suggested in the post seems not help, because:
1. I didn't sign in with MS account
2. I can't make a password reset disk without password.

janita

Have you enabled BitLocker encryption for your tablet or not?
Consider restoring your system to the most recent backup point.

Votality

really appreciated for the reply. The method suggested in the post seems not help, because:
1. I didn't sign in with MS account
2. I can't make a password reset disk without password.

Ignore the first half of the webpage goto the section

Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset

Hileman

You can then boot it via the alternate boot sequence to boot off usb by holding down vol down then pressing power for a second then releasing it (keep holding vol down until you see the surface logo then the little dots)

Then try. Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset from here How to Change or Reset a Windows 10 Password

You may also be able to get it to boot to the recovery menu on the ssd without the usb by hard powering it off when it boots up by holding down the power button for 30 seconds on boot. Do that twice and i think it will boot to the recovery menu. (I don't advocate this method)

Thanks for your share, i will try that method to reset my Surface Pro 3 Tablet.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I will add "Younger Brother" to the list of ways to secure my files. :)

I hope you get this sorted.

Varghese

But I have neither a password reset disk nor a Windows 10 installation media. What should I do?

Last edited:

Votality

But I have neither a password reset disk nor a Windows 10 installation media. What should I do?

Try holding down shift and select restart on the power button on the lock screen to get to the recovery menu (not sure if this works or if there is a restart option)