What's new

My Experience with my (2) Dell s2340T touch screen monitors

tonyz3

So a few weeks ago I posted about deciding to get the Dell S2340T 23 inch touch screen monitor optimized for Win 8. I almost pulled the trigger on the MS store bc it was $50 off of Dells sale price. But a quick search on Ebay turned up one and I negotiated a price of $500. Set it up, great experience no issues with scaling etc., Well a few weeks into it on the top right hand corner behind the glass a thin rubber stripstarted to dislodge and come down from the bezel- see photo. YIKES I was going to make a claim thru Ebay but I decided to check with Dell to see if it was a warranty item but I wasn't sure if they would cover bc I bought it from Ebay..:cry: To my surprise after giving them the SN# and info they said they would send out a new one 1-2 business and I HAD to return the defective one to them within 10 days. So a few days later still did not have it- the rep who was fantastic( from you know where :smile:) called me everyday to give status. Keep in mind I could still use my old one but the strip was a little distracting. After about 4 days they said I would have the next day. So here it is my replacement. Brand new box, it was like xmas all over again, I opened it up looked it over, no problems, unplugged the old one, switched in the new one, fired it up, right where I left off, color seemed even better than the first.. Took the old one carefully wrapped it up put it back in the box, cords and all, taped it up and took the receipt off the front of the box bc that is where the return info was to be, To my surprise as I read the paperwork it said no need to return, :eek:mg:Did I READ this right, looked again, nope that is what it said, Than the phone rang, it was like clock work, the rep from Dell, She asked if it was delivered - yes I said, I than waited for here to instruct me how to return, She said "Great, thank you - I will now close out your ticket" :big smile:I hung up the phone a my first thought well I could sell it on Ebay for parts or to some one who wanted to open it to try to re attach the rubber strip. Than I thought it would be great to have both monitors set up with touch(i'll get to that in a bit) Took it out of the box and starring me in the face the DAM rubber thing. I decided to turn the monitor over and tap the top part of the bezel on my knee and sure as heck the rubber popped back into place. I ran to my parts draw and grabbed a usb-hdmi plug hooked up the monitor and now I have both working. Good news. Bad news is the rubber will work loose depending on how many times I tap the screen by then end of the day. So I will have to turn it over and tap it- No big deal for a brand new 10pt muti touch, NOW for a quick question: I have it set up where the monitor on the left is main screen and the monitor on the rt is extension of the desktop, works as it should not issues except the touch. The touch works great in the left monitor and on the rt monitor if I touch the screen it registers but on the left monitor. IS there anyway to get the touch to register in both screens or is the Pro not able to, Called Dell just to inquire said I wanted to buy another one and just wanted to know if this could be done- they did not know said they would give it to me at a discount- WOW they are just giving these away. But back to my issue, This is my set up, Pro display to hdmi in the first mon, pro usb to usb 3.0 up-something in the monitor to be able to use the usb's on the monitor, now from the mon 1 I have a usb-hdmi to the mon2 hdmi and the usb 3.0 on mon 1 to the usb 3.0 up something on mon 2. mouse works on mon 2 and on mon 1 , touch on mon 1 and touch registers on mon 2 but on mon 1 screen. :crazy:any thoughts. I still might just sell mon two,

Attachments

• Dell screen.jpg
    Dell screen.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 2,780
  • WP_20130313_001.jpg
    WP_20130313_001.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 2,916
Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
NOW for a quick question: I have it set up where the monitor on the left is main screen and the monitor on the rt is extension of the desktop, works as it should not issues except the touch. The touch works great in the left monitor and on the rt monitor if I touch the screen it registers but on the left monitor. IS there anyway to get the touch to register in both screens or is the Pro not able to, Called Dell just to inquire said I wanted to buy another one and just wanted to know if this could be done- they did not know said they would give it to me at a discount- WOW they are just giving these away. But back to my issue, This is my set up, Pro display to hdmi in the first mon, pro usb to usb 3.0 up-something in the monitor to be able to use the usb's on the monitor, now from the mon 1 I have a usb-hdmi to the mon2 hdmi and the usb 3.0 on mon 1 to the usb 3.0 up something on mon 2. mouse works on mon 2 and on mon 1 , touch on mon 1 and touch registers on mon 2 but on mon 1 screen. :crazy:any thoughts. I still might just sell mon two,

Nice monitors and good story. This last part was sort of buried in there though. If I understand correctly the setup is:

Surface mini DisplayPort to HDMI on monitor 1
Surface USB to USB upstream on monitor 1
Monitor 1 USB to HDMI on monitor 2
Monitor 1 USB to monitor 2 USB upstream

Can you simply do:

Surface USB to monitor 1 USB upstream
Monitor 1 USB to monitor 2 USB upstream

Then in monitor settings use Input source USB on both monitors?

Something like this drives the images http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-laptop-...DTV-Output-Converter-/390424740227#vi-content or https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=rQlBUfuvHdKFyQHy-YCQDw&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAA

Last edited:
OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

Thanks, you are right that was my set up, I guess the only issue I have even the set up you described is everything works either set up, accept the touch on mon 2 for mon 2, ( mon 1 you touch it and the touch works on mon1 as it is supposed to, but when you touch mon2 - lets say you put 10 fingers on the screen it will actually show the finger touch circles on mon 1 and if you swipe on mon2 it will swipe the mon 1 screen. ) Do you know of a fix for this issue or am I only able to use touch in mon 1 and mouse on mon2

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't know if it matters but maybe monitor 2 upstream shouldn't be hooked to monitor 1 USB out. Possibly try having Surface USB to USB 3.0 hub then USB Hub to mon 1 upstream and USB hub to mon 2 upstream?

I honestly haven't heard of many people running dual touch monitor setups (lucky you :)) so I think you are a little in uncharted territory until it becomes more common.

Dewg

Could you run this configuration with a docking station like the Kensington SD3500V (dual monitors)? It uses displaylink for external monitors over USB, but gives you USB ports as well. Would the monitors connect to the docking station, and the USB (for touch) each connect to the dock as well?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Could you run this configuration with a docking station like the Kensington SD3500V (dual monitors)? It uses displaylink for external monitors over USB, but gives you USB ports as well. Would the monitors connect to the docking station, and the USB (for touch) each connect to the dock as well?

I think the problem is each of the monitors he is using is actually a sort of docking station. So monitor 1 is acting as a USB hub which connects to monitor 2 that is also a USB hub. Since monitor 1 is acting as a hub it is consolidating monitor 2 with its signal back to the Surface. My guess is using a simple USB 3.0 hub and then splitting each of the monitors off of that might resolve the issue.

Right now: Surface<-->mon1<-->mon2

Suggest: Surface<-->hub<-->mon1
..............................^
..............................|
..............................v
...........................mon2

Last edited:
OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

I think the problem is each of the monitors he is using is actually a sort of docking station. So monitor 1 is acting as a USB hub which connects to monitor 2 that is also a USB hub. Since monitor 1 is acting as a hub it is consolidating monitor 2 with its signal back to the Surface. My guess is using a simple USB 3.0 hub and then splitting each of the monitors off of that might resolve the issue.

Right now: Surface<-->mon1<-->mon2

Suggest: Surface<-->hub<-->mon1
..............................^
..............................|
..............................v
...........................mon2
I think I will retur my usb to hdmi I don't need anymore and try the hub do you have any suggestions of one.

jeffskent

My question exactly. What usb powered hub or dock can one use to get a two monitor display. I have a Planar 27" monitor in use, but I also have a 24" monitor that I would like to use as well. Why not? It can always be turned off if I don't like or need it. Is there a MiniDisplay Port splitter made that will work? Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA

J515OP

Super Moderator
Tony, have you tried both monitors separately just to make sure they are both working? I am guessing so but it doesn't hurt to ask/check. Beyond that I am not so sure dual touch monitors are supported. This is actually relatively new territory and while dual displays are common dual touch doesn't seem to be mentioned much.