What's new

My Favorite Unexpected Thing About Surface

J515OP

Super Moderator
It sort of struck me today while reading reviews how much I really love being able to see this on a tablet. Yeah, yeah, shift the paradigm, touch blah, live tiles, widget, apps I get it "computing" is changing. But seeing this on a tablet really makes me smile. Maybe that says a lot about the state of the current options that don't feel like PCs.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6385/Screenshot (21).png

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6385/Screenshot (34).png

What are your favorite unexpected things about Surface?

LA33R

Although I ordered mine on the first day, I didn't realise it has a microSD card slot.

After hearing about this I ordered a 64GB card, to double the storage of my device.

Chip

That the Windows button vibrates when touched.
Also the entire fit, finish and high-end materials used have really impressed me!

billfraley

For me, it is the usability of desktop mode. I was under the impression it would be far more restricted than it is.

archapacman

Full blown desktop with belkin external usb ports:

Total surprise. I was going to buy a new Windows 8 Laptop, but I think Surface RT has stopped me.

8129524513_b25cf8ac66_k.jpg

Jeff

I'm surprised at how horrible I am with the Touch Cover. I know it will take a while, but I'm downright horrible with it.

The best surprise is that standard micro-HDMI cables work with the AV port. No need to plop down $39.99 for Microsoft's cable.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
That the version of Office 2013 included does not have the touch interface on it yet.

It actually does but it is burried in the settings, not on by default. It still ins't great for touch but does spread things out and make it easier to click the targets. I'll see if I can find the video showing how to turn it on or you can bing/google it.

GSOgymrat

A kick stand seemed like a minor thing but now that I have the Surface I am surprised by just how useful it is, especially when combined with the keyboard cover.

I also like the onscreen keyboard, particularly the numeric keypad layout.

I didn't expect the keyboard cover to have the textured back. I love that it doesn't show fingerprints.

bman5

I am totally impressed by how good the hardware/software is (Windows 8).

I am also dissatisfied with how bad some of the apps are, the music app comes to mind. Microsoft could've waited until January to release both the Surface RT and Pro and have all of their apps out of BETA. I mean you have some top notch apps like OneNote and the NBC app, but then you have some duds like urbanspoon and evernote.

compnovo

It actually does but it is burried in the settings, not on by default. It still ins't great for touch but does spread things out and make it easier to click the targets. I'll see if I can find the video showing how to turn it on or you can bing/google it.

Your response made me curious so I did some searching and came up with this...
http://winsupersite.com/article/office-2013-beta2/office-2013-feature-focus-touch-mode-144406

...Now I have to wait 'til I get home to try it out.