What's new

My Favorite Unexpected Thing About Surface

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Your response made me curious so I did some searching and came up with this...
http://winsupersite.com/article/office-2013-beta2/office-2013-feature-focus-touch-mode-144406

...Now I have to wait 'til I get home to try it out.

Unfortunately that information may be a little out of date. My understanding is that RT is shipping with the touch mode enabled by default so if you are expecting it to become more touch friendly that might not happen. Certainly worth checking into though to make sure you are running touch mode. Let us know what you find.

JP

pallentx

Nice stereo sound! Coming from an iPad, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the sound is from the built-in speakers.

That and multi-user support. I dont see this mentioned in most reviews, but this is a huge advantage over the iPad IMO.

compnovo

Unfortunately that information may be a little out of date. My understanding is that RT is shipping with the touch mode enabled by default so if you are expecting it to become more touch friendly that might not happen. Certainly worth checking into though to make sure you are running touch mode. Let us know what you find.

JP

I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to play with it later.

compnovo

It turns out that touch mode was not enabled on my Surface, and the command icon looks a little different now (but it's easy to find),

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
It turns out that touch mode was not enabled on my Surface, and the command icon looks a little different now (but it's easy to find),

Glad you were able to activate touch mode. That is something others should check out as well. Do you find the change in spacing to be beneficial?

guitar1969

Yeah the touch mode is enabled by default, and the icon has changed from what is stated in the article - Its a fingertip now.

compnovo

Yeah the touch mode is enabled by default, and the icon has changed from what is stated in the article - Its a fingertip now.

Interesting that it was disabled on my system. It's possible I disabled at an earlier time while I was getting the hang of the device.

archapacman

I actually like that too, because of how frustrating it is to put it in the first time lol.

But when my Surface needs juice, that light is quite reassuring.

R0bR

Interesting that it was disabled on my system. It's possible I disabled at an earlier time while I was getting the hang of the device.

Mine was also disabled. I also found that if you adjust your font DPI settings you can make things a little more finger friendly as well, I found 110% to work well for me. That of course affects the whole desktop not just Office.

My favorite unexpected thing is how well the Touch Cover works.

Last edited:

iGalileo

My favorite unexpected thing is to be able to use many corporate sites, that I couldn't with my Android and iPad tablets. For example Outlook client for the web has full capability and I thought that it uses Silverlight.