What's new

My first attempt to do a reset - Questions.

bulls96

does the "refresh your pc without affecting your files" option work?

Will it leave my apps alone?

Or will it reinstall my apps for me?

Will it erase my browser history and passwords and pinned websites?

main reason I am resetting is I feel like the cache of these apps I think are getting too full, my surface is getting less responsive as time goes by.

thanks!
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you think it is the cache, use disk clean up and click on clean up System Files and remove from there, the only thing that is left from the refresh are the files stored in your Libraries, all apps and personal settings would need to be set by you...

ArnoldC

Files and Applications are different.

"... without affecting your files." means exactly that, files.

There was a thread here with a complaint about losing his files, when he actually meant the applications.

If you want to be sure, run Windows Easy Transfer and select what you want to save. That will allow you to recover them in case murphy's law hit you.

OP
bulls96

bulls96

well that's kind of a bummer. I wonder why OS's don't reinstall your apps for you. My previous tablet the HP Touchpad with webOS did that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
well that's kind of a bummer. I wonder why OS's don't reinstall your apps for you. My previous tablet the HP Touchpad with webOS did that.

Quite possibly because one of the apps may actually be the problem. By reinstalling them one at a time and seeing if you develop an issue after an app install you can confirm if that is the case. You wouldn't want whatever refresh is wiping out to be reinstalled and automatically create the problem again.

OP
bulls96

bulls96

Then open the Store on your RT > Swipe down from top > Click on Your Apps > select Apps not installed on this PC > select what you want to reinstall

yeah it takes a long time to click on each one though and reinstall them one by one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Actually you can click on each one that is in the list and click install and it will do all of them....