What's new

My gloriously ghetto $.95 Surface pro kickstand replacement...

mitchellvii

Face it, MS blew it with the SP kickstand, unless of course you are an 8 year old child or 5 feet tall. The angle is just too steep and you can't adjust it. You can buy a case to solve the problem but then you have a big old case to deal with and if you set the angle too shallow the keyboard doesn't sit flat.

What to do.

This is so ghetto you are going to love it, not only because it is cheap but because it works beautifully well.

STEP1: Buy one of these on Amazon for $.95:
Amazon.com: Bracketron IPM-228-BL MobileDock Universal Dash Mount for GPS: MP3 Players & Accessories
51nd45lOTFL._SL1000_.jpg

STEP2: Ok, this is actually made for holding a phone, so the little feet at the bottom will get in your way. Luckily you can easily clip them off with some wire cutters. They are already scored so they pop off easily and cleanly.

STEP3: Use the suction cup on the button to stick it to the base of your external monitor or desk and adjust it to your desired angle:

Bracketron_side.jpg

STEP4: Place your Surface Pro in front on the monitor and with the kickstand closed, rest the back against the sticky green pad on your Bracketron stand.

Bracketron_front.jpg

This works beautifully and gives you whatever angle you desire. At first the sticky pad is quite sticky but once it gets broken in, it is just sticky enough to hold your SP in position but also easily detached.

Good luck!

- MacGyver

Last edited:

CrazyT

I just put a notebook underneath my Surface to raise the angle. Sure, it's not adjustable but it get the job done.

slvrdrgn123

I don't mind the angle on the SP at all. It's probably because when I use it, most of the time I'm not directly in front of it. Usually 2-3 feet back so the angles just about right for me.

machistmo

For those with the fully adjustable Dell S2340T touchscreen monitor, Ghetto solutions are not needed. In fact I almost never even touch the Surface at all anymore. I have a fully adjustable 23 inch touch screen that will go table-top flat to vertical in a second. I don't even notice the kickstand on the surface at all, in fact its a nice a table top position for the little screen and works fine for the occasional windows-Button push. :big smile: [video=youtube;GV2Y2kIUkIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs[/video]

Dell S2340T Pos1.jpeg

Dell S2340T Pos2.jpeg

Dell S2340T Pos3.jpeg

Last edited:

apoc_reg

Leaving the stickers on your monitor, now THAT'S ghetto :)

Hope I never come round, I've been known to remove protective clear stickers from peoples DVD players when they have left the room for a slit second!!

I find the kickstand angle great for videos etc then for stylus just needs to be flat..... for the sofa? This is how I roll!!!!

IMG_3458.jpg

Hows that I hear you ask?! Well a spongy car freebie from a trade show of course! Works perfectly.

IMG_3463.jpg

Last edited:

tonyz3

Face it, MS blew it with the SP kickstand, unless of course you are an 8 year old child or 5 feet tall. This is so ghetto you are going to love it, not only because it is cheap but because it works beautifully well.
- MacGyver

What you talking about 5 feet tall....... th (2).jpg Willis....

machistmo

Leaving the stickers on your monitor, now THAT'S ghetto :)

Those stickers are NEVER going to be removed. Who knew I could be GHETTO simply by leaving some stickers in place? I got a clear sticker to go over the stickers to make sure they stay STUCK. :eek:mg: