What's new

My impressions

ctitanic

I just wrote a brief note at my personal blog about this Machine.

To save some time to some of you, here is what I don't like.

20150628_230240784_iOS.jpg

MoggSquad

I know some applauded the use of Micro USB, but I never liked it on any of my devices that use it. I haven't tried a S3 yet, but am considering one.

lookingforward

The micro USB is unfortunate, but it is certainly a small negative in the scheme of things. On the flip side, I can use 10-foot micro USB cables without a problem. I hardly ever use the OEM cable now.

Telstar1948

Can't comment about the S3, since I don't have one, but the mUSB on my Asus T100 works well - I have to pay attention when plugging it into the device, but that's all.

stammie

I like non scientific reviews when I'm deciding on a purchase,
give me a real world experience rather than a synthetic benchmark every time.
We all have our own tastes and likes, I personally hate laptops and their form factor, I agree with you about the design and screen size, for me this is the perfect example of a tablet, coupled with the type cover its pretty close to a normal Windows pc experience but for the in the lap computing experience I'd far rather pick up the tablet and hold it than balance an oversized monstrosity that you can't use properly.
I was a bit dubious about the aspect ratio of the screen before I got my Surface 3 but now think its a masterstroke from MS and wouldn't change it for the world.

I also agree about the micro USB charging, particularly as the Surface 3 is so pernickety about what it works with, although I have to say whilst not perfect the MS connector is one of the best I've seen.

For me and for my general usage I only really notice I'm using a tablet and not a "proper" PC (CPU demanding programs excepted) is when something is unpacking, then I realise the difference between eMMC and SSD.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the lack of processor noise in the S3.

Now I've used my S3, I couldn't care what MS do to the SP4 so long as it is fanless. And by that I do not mean Panays idea of fanless.. I just plugged in a usb harddrive and the spin-up made me start a little. Silent is awesome.

Clintro

I absolutely love my S3, I use it for lightweight tasks and hardly do anything that can't be achieved on this machine. Basic web and spreadsheet tasks. My Girlfriend has the SP3 and she loves hers and it is more future proof but the larger size is not convenient for me.

Now if I could get that processing power in a smaller footprint.... then Oorah!!

I pretty much agree, ctitanic, everything about the Surface 3 works for me. I thought the mUSB could be a good idea when I heard about it, but the purpose that it serves with my other devices doesn't flow to the S3. With my other devices, if there's a mUSB on it, I can plug in any mUSB cable I see. My phone, the kids phones, my head set. Whether in the car, office, or house any of us can plug into any available mUSB charger and recharge or upcharge. On the S3 it still has to be the charger that came with it, which to me defeats the purpose of mUSB.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can use any mUSB that supports the amperage required, there are other devices that require the same (Dell Venue Pro 8). Lower power mUSB will prevent discharge allow trickle charging if the device is not in use. The S3 is using the x7 ATOM SoC has PC RAM and eMMC, this isn't like an ARM SoC.

narse77

This is my only complaint. I really wish they had given us the magnetic fast charge port like the SP3 with the option to also use USB when needed. That said it's a very very minor complaint. On all other fronts it is simply one of the best devices I have ever used. I find myself using it 95% of the time and only pulling out my workstation class laptop when I need to do VMs or SQL stuff for SCCM. Other than that the S3 is my main device use for both work and play.