What's new

My "Keep or Return" Debate - Another Guy's Thoughts

dman27

This design would have much more lag on the I5 Version,when rotating this model. The processor still throttles down to about 1.8 GHz, however, the Gpu goes up from 599 to 780 +

Usable, but would like for a more stable range above 2.3 GHz.

upload_2014-8-21_15-49-16.png

OP
S

savaytse66

Since my 30 window has now expired, I just wanted to update this post to let everyone know that I decided to keep my SP3. Though I still have some reservations, this really is the best device for ME at the moment.

After last week's firmware update, things do seem to be running a little cooler and with less fan. I did have an issue yesterday with Metro IE. It was the ONLY program running, had only 1 tab open, and was browsing Craigslist; pretty light duty stuff, if you ask me. Within 30 seconds, the fan started up and increased in speed and noise until it was pretty darn loud, although heat was not too bad. The CPU was up around 45% according to Task Manager and dropped to 0-1% when I closed IE. I also still have some other pauses/hangups with other apps, but I can live with them for now.

I still think MS needs to pay some attention to ironing out the little problems; despite some of the people on this board discounting them just because THEY don't have them, the heat and fan issue is real, whether it's by design or not. I'm not looking to rehash that debate, I am just speaking from my own personal experience. Although I think the device is far from perfect, it is the best device of its kind right now. For my usage scenario, a laptop is not an option. For someone who relies solely on a laptop or tablet, I'd pass, but I am someone who needs both, so I think the SP3 lives up to the hype.

I am cautiously optimistic that the SP3 will get better as time goes on and MS keeps up with issuing updates.

I have to redline pdfs from time to time. I use Bluebeam Revu on my desktop and SP3. It isn't a MUI app, but works fairly well with touch, and really well with a pen.

raqball

I did have an issue yesterday with Metro IE. It was the ONLY program running, had only 1 tab open, and was browsing Craigslist; pretty light duty stuff, if you ask me. Within 30 seconds, the fan started up and increased in speed and noise until it was pretty darn loud, although heat was not too bad. The CPU was up around 45% according to Task Manager and dropped to 0-1% when I closed IE. I also still have some other pauses/hangups with other apps, but I can live with them for now.

I think there was something strange going on yesterday because I had the exact same thing happen. My SP3 has ran pretty cool until yesterday. I was browsing this forum and had no other programs open other than one metro IE tab. My unit got real hot, real fast and the fan kicked in.

This was the 1st time I experienced heat in a little over 2 weeks of ownership. Here is the thread on it that someone else started.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/cpu-60-degrees-during-browsing.10940/

I don't know how hot my unit got because I do not have a temperature monitor but it got very, very hot and it did so rather fast.

malberttoo

Since my 30 window has now expired, I just wanted to update this post to let everyone know that I decided to keep my SP3. Though I still have some reservations, this really is the best device for ME at the moment.

After last week's firmware update, things do seem to be running a little cooler and with less fan. I did have an issue yesterday with Metro IE. It was the ONLY program running, had only 1 tab open, and was browsing Craigslist; pretty light duty stuff, if you ask me. Within 30 seconds, the fan started up and increased in speed and noise until it was pretty darn loud, although heat was not too bad. The CPU was up around 45% according to Task Manager and dropped to 0-1% when I closed IE. I also still have some other pauses/hangups with other apps, but I can live with them for now.

I still think MS needs to pay some attention to ironing out the little problems; despite some of the people on this board discounting them just because THEY don't have them, the heat and fan issue is real, whether it's by design or not. I'm not looking to rehash that debate, I am just speaking from my own personal experience. Although I think the device is far from perfect, it is the best device of its kind right now. For my usage scenario, a laptop is not an option. For someone who relies solely on a laptop or tablet, I'd pass, but I am someone who needs both, so I think the SP3 lives up to the hype.

I am cautiously optimistic that the SP3 will get better as time goes on and MS keeps up with issuing updates.

There is known issue cropping up the last few days with IE and high CPU usage, and oddly enough, Craigslist has been involved in quite a few of them. SO.... it's not just you. :)

I believe you are correct, the SP3 will only get better in the near future as updates are released.

raqball

My unit is still getting pretty hot with just this forum open in a single IE metro tab. Something recently happened as its been very cool until yesterday.

I am going to pop into the LA Microsoft store this afternoon and see if they can figure it out. It's odd as it will go from very hot to cool then back to being very hot.

I wonder what happened recently to cause this behavior. Its not a huge deal and I'm sure the MS store will take care of me.

fonzman78

Given your use case I don't understand why you require an i7 model? Massive overkill to me. Seems like heat and throttling are causing most of your issues. An i7 gets hot inside a tower with water cooling and a hurricane of fans. IMHO it is just too much for this slim form factor.

I'd exchange it for an i5 or even i3 if space is not an issue.

I use my i7 with similar use cases as the OP and I have no heat issues. I think I've heard the fan a few times if ever. Does it get hot once in a while, sure, but then so did my i5. I've been using my i7 today, with no heat or fan. Been web browsing and downloaded 4 movies totaling ~20GB.

raqball

My unit is still getting pretty hot with just this forum open in a single IE metro tab. Something recently happened as its been very cool until yesterday.

I am going to pop into the LA Microsoft store this afternoon and see if they can figure it out. It's odd as it will go from very hot to cool then back to being very hot.

Quoted myself. LOL

Went to the LA Microsoft store today and the tech checked it out. He said the fan was not spinning high enough to cool the unit. I guess that's why I have not heard the fan before.

He exchanged it and off I went. So far so good on the new unit.