What's new

My machine overheated for the first time today

macmee

I was installing autodesk, that's all I was doing. The fan was wicked loud. I waited a few minutes and now Windows Modules Install Worker is taking up 22% of my CPU and my fan is loud again - this process always does this.

I wanted to play The Sims 4 or even Skyrim on my surface today but I'm afraid to now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Autodesk must have one heck of a install program :) might want to alert MS to this so they can tune it down.
Oh, Autodesk install. Wait1, work1, wait1, ... , ...

OP
macmee

macmee

Autodesk must have one heck of a install program :) might want to alert MS to this so they can tune it down.
Oh, Autodesk install. Wait1, work1, wait1, ... , ...

The problem isn't with autodesk it's with the device's poor cooling capabilities. The fact that you would even suggest otherwise is moronic. Apparently you haven't heard the hundreds of other users with this same problem?

OP
macmee

macmee

See bigger fan... substitute hammer for fan, hit nail with bigger hammer. Doh!

On the bright side, this is only the first time I've seen you derail a thread here.

I'm interested in genuine conversation about overheating, avoiding it, etc etc.

VickiFL

What are your SP3 specs? Is in an i7? I know they are prone to overheating. That's why I decided to stick with the i5.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What does the event log say? Was there additional processing running as well? BTW - SP3 thermal protection did exactly what it was supposed to do to prevent heat damage.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does the event log say? Was there additional processing running as well? BTW - SP3 thermal protection did exactly what it was supposed to do to prevent heat damage.
True, except ideally the cooling management system should have throttled back to prevent the shutdown ... environmental circumstances notwithstanding. i.e. installing fireside while roasting chestnuts may have just been too much. :)