What's new

My machine overheated for the first time today

VickiFL

Well, it doesn't surprise me then. I think the i5 is the sweet spot as far as SP3's go. Just powerful enough, but not too powerful for such a small space.

All that being said, I had a little scare of my own, on my i5. I was just surfing the Internet yesterday, and decided to go to NORAD to track Santa on their website. I've never seen the RAM usage so high, and the whole right side of my SP3 was hotter than I've ever felt it! I decided it wasn't worth taxing my SP3 tracking an imaginary man, and left the page. My RAM usage went up as high as 3.7! It's never been that high. (I know because I was monitoring.)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
True, except ideally the cooling management system should have throttled back to prevent the shutdown ... environmental circumstances notwithstanding. i.e. installing fireside while roasting chestnuts may have just been too much. :)
Thermal Shutdown is a last resort mechanism is true....but there are times that even with throttling heat can build up and not dissipate fast enough.

@macmee - Which version of the software were you installing?

kozak79

I have Autodesk Maya 2015, Autdoesk Mudbox 2015, and Autodesk Inventor 2015 installed, no overheating. i7 256gb SP3.

When you say you were installing "Autodesk", what do you mean? That's like saying "I was trying to install Microsoft".

dleuen

I'd be curious what environmental conditions were when this happened. What was the ambient temperature? Was it in the dock, kickstand, laying on a bunch of blankets on a bed, cat sitting on it, etc.

goodintentions

I have Autodesk Maya 2015, Autdoesk Mudbox 2015, and Autodesk Inventor 2015 installed, no overheating. i7 256gb SP3.

When you say you were installing "Autodesk", what do you mean? That's like saying "I was trying to install Microsoft".
True story. Back when I was a repair tech, you have no idea how many times I heard people say' windows' when they meant office, outlook, TurboTax, or any of a dozen other software.

One time a guy totally screwed up his machine and he wanted me to reinstall everything. So I did. He called me up on the phone very furious saying I didn't install windows like he said. I asked him to describe and it turned out he wanted me to install the latest TurboTax for business.

I had to explain to him that it wasn't windows and he needed to buy a new license for it.

It took me years to figure out that most people think all software are the same.

ptrkhh

True story. Back when I was a repair tech, you have no idea how many times I heard people say' windows' when they meant office, outlook, TurboTax, or any of a dozen other software.
And I guess that's exactly why people are afraid to upgrade to new version of Windows, especially Vista and 8, as they think that everything would change.
Could anybody help me to install Windows XP on my brand new Surface Pro 3? I don't want Windows 8.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I guess that's exactly why people are afraid to upgrade to new version of Windows, especially Vista and 8, as they think that everything would change.
Could anybody help me to install Windows XP on my brand new Surface Pro 3? I don't want Windows 8.
Um, could you give me nine months on that to write some needed drivers :D

goodintentions

Haha, another true story.

On another board, both the moderator team and most of the population were anti-windows 8/8.1. One guy was so full of it that he kept saying over and over that he dreams of the day when he could install windows 7 on his tablets because windows 8 is so awful that nothing works on it.

One day, I decided to call him out on it. I asked him if he could name me some specific software that won't run on windows 8. Instead of naming the software that won't run on 8, he just went on a rant about how bad 8 is and nothing worked on it. I again asked him to give me some specific software. We went back and forth several times with him completely avoiding any specifics. He just kept ranting about how awful windows 8 was and he can't wait for the day when his tablets could have windows 7 on them.

So, I decided to call him out on that one. I offered to pay for windows 7 licenses so he could install them on his tablets. He said he didn't know how. So, I offered to pay for overnight shipping to have him send his devices to me so I could install them for him. He responded by telling me I should donate that money to the starving children of Africa. And then he went back to ranting about how bad windows 8 was and nothing ever runs on it, ever.

And this was when an anti-windows 8 moderator stepped in and banned me for disrupting the board.

I continued to lurk that place, and I kept seeing the same people ranting about how windows 8/8.1 won't run any software and that nothing ever worked right in them.

Coincidentally, the moderator team consisted of retired oldies. Well, I guess they really hate devices and systems with touch screens.

ptrkhh

he kept saying over and over that he dreams of the day when he could install windows 7 on his tablets because windows 8 is so awful that nothing works on it.
Windows 7 over 8 on tablets? I think those people are not real. Heck, I suspect that they could be some of paid employees from some other companies, or just idi0ts. Especially ranting about that over and over again without answering your question, where s/he could, at least, build some BS to answer the question.

By the way you could've also said "You could as well sell your Windows 8 tablet and donate to the starving kids in Africa"

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't think of anything worse to do to my Surface than install Win 7 or lower on it. I like win 7 and still use it on my desktop but it would be godawful on the Surface. Unless you're going to just stay in desktop and keyboard/mouse territory all the time but even then it wouldn't have much advantage over a "proper" ultrabook..

Flatt2338

I use a Surface Pro 3 with Inventor 16, absolutely could not install 15, or 14, (yes we are licensed). 16 works well, small screen not ideal, but light enough for carrying to distant job sites. The F4 rotate does not work, but we're learning to adapt.