What's new

My new SP3 already just paid for itself

uktivo

Seriously. Real world use..

Just been talking to one of my suppliers in China, they were struggling to understand a concept for a new project we are working on.

My brand new SP3 was sitting next to me. One press of the stylus, a quick sketch on one note to show what i needed. Sent via skype. Bang.. they instantly understood.. not only that, my customer placed the order.. Fabulous....

One question. How do i get one note to take a screen shot? I thought it was a double press on the stylus top but that does nothing. I'd like to take a snap shot of a web page if possible or even just a section of it.. can't seem to get this to work.

Garyjk

you need to make sure you have all of the updates. here are some troubleshooting tips:
Double-clicking the top button doesn’t take a screenshot
If a single click of the top button opens OneNote, but a double-click doesn’t take a screenshot, you may need to install updates for Windows and OneNote. Here’s how:
Step 1:
Click the top button of the Pen once.
Step 2:
Make sure you have all updates including KB2968599, as described in Before you begin: Install Surface and Windows updates at the top of this article.
Step 3:
At the Start screen, tap or click Windows Store.
Step 4:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap or click Settings.
Step 5:
Tap or click App updates.
Step 6:
Tap or click Check for updates.
Step 7:
If OneNote appears in the list of available updates, make sure it is selected, and then tap or click Install.
If OneNote doesn’t appear in the list of available updates and double-clicking the top button of the pen doesn’t take a screen shot, contact us.

graye

Take a screen shot
To take a snapshot of your screen, press and hold the Windows button on your Surface, and then press the volume-down button. The screen dims briefly when the screen is captured. A picture of the screen is saved in the Screenshots folder, which is in the Pictures folder

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you double click the top button it puts a transparent white overlay on the screen, then using the pen expand what you are wanting to capture....

upload_2014-8-28_7-0-46.png

mitchellvii

And of course there is the incredibly useful and powerful tool that gets almost zero love: The Windows Snipping Tool (located in Windows Accessories). I pin it to my Taskbar. You can snap, crop, notate, share or save all from the desktop.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To take screenshots, you'll need some system updates first. That was my experience today.

I'm glad it's proving useful to you, but i can't ignore the fact that it wasn't something magical the surface did, pen and paper and a photo would have done exactly the same thing. Now being able to do that with a live one note stream thingy, that's where the real feature is imo.

bluegrass

And of course there is the incredibly useful and powerful tool that gets almost zero love: The Windows Snipping Tool (located in Windows Accessories). I pin it to my Taskbar. You can snap, crop, notate, share or save all from the desktop.

It is a good built in Microsoft tool that gets ignored. I just noticed that if you choose the rectangular capture with it, that it works exactly the same as the OneNote screen capture.

I haven't checked but does the double button work the same in 2013 OneNote. You would have to have the 2013 OneNote setup as the default to test it out. I'll see which one I have as the default and test it.

Update: I just tested double-clicking with my desktop OneNote (OneNote 2013) and the screen capture opened OneNote2013 to size and post my screen capture into it. I also did something weird but cool. I was able to do a split screen with OneNote 2013 on one half and the metro OneNote on the other half.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a good built in Microsoft tool that gets ignored. I just noticed that if you choose the rectangular capture with it, that it works exactly the same as the OneNote screen capture.

I haven't checked but does the double button work the same in 2013 OneNote. You would have to have the 2013 OneNote setup as the default to test it out. I'll see which one I have as the default and test it.

Update: I just tested double-clicking with my desktop OneNote (OneNote 2013) and the screen capture opened OneNote2013 to size and post my screen capture into it. I also did something weird but cool. I was able to do a split screen with OneNote 2013 on one half and the metro OneNote on the other half.
Hmm did they fight over the screen shot? perhaps tear it in half each taking their side? :)

malberttoo

Snipping Tool is one of the most useful tools on the SP3. Seriously all new SP3 owners should get familiar with it!

fonzman78

Update: I just tested double-clicking with my desktop OneNote (OneNote 2013) and the screen capture opened OneNote2013 to size and post my screen capture into it.

As an FYI in case you didn't already know, but once you double click the pen and select what you need, it copies it to OneNote but it also copies it to the clipboard. So, if you really just want to capture a part of a screenshot and paste it into an email or other, you can use double click the pen, let it copy to OneNote, but then just open the app you want to paste to and do a CTRL-V.