What's new

My SB shuts down unexpectedly

mikecox

My SB has begun to shut down, for no apparent reason, it just goes black! I checked the Reliability Hx and all it says is that "Windows was not properly shut down". There is another error that is always present, the "Windows Camer Frame Server" but I don't think it's related because sometimes it appears before the shutdown and sometimes after.

This started happening a week or two ago but tonight it shut down twice in less than an hour!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any skin protection on your SB? I am asking because a few months ago, I had a small piece of vinyl which was to go around one of the rear ports (for keyboard base connection) handing into the port. My Surface Book was going black randomly. I found and removed that thin hanging piece off, and all became well.

Check your ports for cleanliness, including dust and debris (including metal shavings which are attracted to the magnetics), etc.

jliud_404

If that does not work here is my suggestion. Try to see if you can back up all of your files to an ext hard drive and perform a wipe. There used to be an option in the BIOS to reset it like a tablet. This is on virtually all windows 10 devices and can easily be done. Hope this helps.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Do you have any skin protection on your SB? I am asking because a few months ago, I had a small piece of vinyl which was to go around one of the rear ports (for keyboard base connection) handing into the port. My Surface Book was going black randomly. I found and removed that thin hanging piece off, and all became well.

Check your ports for cleanliness, including dust and debris (including metal shavings which are attracted to the magnetics), etc.
Thanks. I used "Duster" to blow out all my ports. Let's see if that works.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

If that does not work here is my suggestion. Try to see if you can back up all of your files to an ext hard drive and perform a wipe. There used to be an option in the BIOS to reset it like a tablet. This is on virtually all windows 10 devices and can easily be done. Hope this helps.
I have been getting ready to return my SB to it's OOB state. Is Wipe is tantamount to doing that.