What's new

My SKINny Surface Pro 2 - Vinyl Skin

jefhart

Takes some strength to peel off, jefhart, but it does not tear, so it stays in one piece. I like that. Not likely to peel. Absolutely no reside. In fact, really leaves the surface clean, because it seems to pick up micro-dust off of the finish and leave a factory-new lustre.

I know this, because I had a previous skin on this PS2 from skinomi.com. Nice, but I like this one better - enough to peel, replace, take pictures, and post. :)

Thanks for the information Sharp!

beq

Great pics, congrats!

Can I ask how the Skinomi differed from Stickerboy, in your experience? I'm also about to look around for a good skin for our SP2 units. The look might be a nice bonus, but I'm mainly interested in extra grip (so I may be happy with just a transparent matte skin).

Are all these brands of skins made from the same material, and applied the same way? Or are some polyurethane vs vinyl, etc, with different thickness? Are they all applied wet (bundled with a liquid bottle), or are some more like stickers with an adhesive side? Or is it possible to attach purely via static cling?

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask how the Skinomi differed from Stickerboy, in your experience? I'm also about to look around for a good skin for our SP2 units. The look might be a nice bonus, but I'm mainly interested in extra grip (so I may be happy with just a transparent matte skin)....

Both are dry-apply. Also, unlike wet-apply skins, you don't mess it up by repositioning, etc. during install to get it just right. Just remind yourself not to stretch the vinyl. It is precision cut, and will fit. Trust it.

Both brands are high quality, but...

I like the Stickerboy a bit better than the Skinomi. As posted above, I tried both. It was worth throwing away the first purchase for the second!
- Stickerboy had a texture to the woodgrain, which enhances the look, the feel, and your grip. Both carbon fiber designs probably have texture.
- Stickerboy vinyl seemed much thicker, and the edges seem to grab better.

Check out how nicely Sir Face dressed up a Surface Pro 2 with Skinomi here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/8472-surface-pro-2-all-dressed-up.html

Last edited:
Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.

Have you noticed any temperature differences? (i.e. does it take any longer to cool down after heating up?)

EDIT: thanks for the quick reply. I might get one of these.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I find no problem with latent heat of my Surface Pro 2 with skin on. Actually, it feels cooler to the touch, due to the textured surface. Perhaps it actually helps the unit cool down, since the textured vinyl surface has much more (micro) surface area.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed today that my SP2 is MUCH easier and more comfortable to use as a tablet with this skin. I don't know if the non-woodgrain textures would be this good.

Also, with the screen bezel piece, it is finally easy to use the scroll widget or scroll the screen with my thumb (left or right). That is because, without looking, I can feel the very slight elevation an texture edge between vinyl and glass. More precise and comfortable to scroll.

Last edited:

beq

Thanks again for all the info! I ordered some to evaluate.

It's really great to hear that the woodgrain texture makes the SP2 more comfortable to hold. I wonder if Stickerboy's other textures (carbon fiber, brushed metal, leather, matte with sand grit) will have similar benefits, or if there are unexpected differences...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me that the texture is customized to be attractive and plausible for each design. You can see the woodgrain texture on my pics. All of the non flat-color designs likely have this, such as carbon fiber, etc.

Will be watching for a post about your experience after you receive and apply, beq.

beq

Thank you, I did get in the Stickerboy black leather, black matte antibacterial, and black stealth matte. As well as a few Decalgirl skins including solid state black and black woodgrain (which don't cover the sides though). And clear PU skins from other brands.

From Stickerboy I think we really liked the black leather look the best, and it has decent textured grip. But the black matte had the best grip with "sand grit" texture, plus it's antimicrobial. Given that family members have kids that like to grab and fling tablets around, I figured it's best to stick with the latter. So I ordered a few more of that skin, and once I get them all in, I'll skin all our SP2's at the same time.

As someone mentioned in another thread, the black stealth matte looked closest to the naked Surface, but there's no texture at all so it doesn't feel much better than naked or the Decalgirl skins (FYI Decalgirl material seems quite different and coverage not as complete, but does come in nicer packaging).

What's strange is that Stickerboy shipped most of my orders in flat packaging which arrived intact. But one skin was shipped rolled up in a tube, and it arrived stretched/deformed which became apparent when I unrolled the sheet on a flat surface...

beq

Thanks again! Just ordered the black leather and black matte antibacterial from Stickerboy to evaluate, before buying more. Wanted something with texture/grip, but close to the naked dark titanium finish of the SP2.

Based on sharpcolorado's other thread, I actually hope that the Stickerboy vinyl is not too thick whereby the SP2 won't fit in the upcoming FreedomCase (which has a pocket that the kickstand inserts into). Otherwise I'd have to get a thinner vinyl from another brand...

P.S. Also ordered the clear "polyurethane" skin from ArmorSuit and Skinomi to compare, but I fear it will make the back side too glossy. And while the tacky/rubbery material may provide better grip, it could also be harder to clean with alcohol wipes?
Finally applied the Stickerboy to our SP2's. Black leather for one unit, the rest got the black matte antibacterial (which seems to be the thickest skin). Great result thanks everyone.

Though now I'm starting to have second thoughts. The black matte does have better grip, kind of tacky with a sandpaper grit texture. But I'm now noticing the drawbacks. When wiping it down with an alcohol wipe, the grit tends to break apart the wipe and generates shredded lint pieces (I like to press hard when wiping down, and do it multiple times daily on our gadgets).

Also the tackiness can make it feel kinda "sticky" in the hand sometimes (which I don't like), and almost seems to induce sweaty palms? I thus get the urge to wash my hands even more often than I already do...

I'm kinda swayed back to the black leather even if it doesn't have as good a grip (though it's still much better than the naked Surface). Plus it looks better...

Last edited: