What's new

My SP2 has around 7400mW drain on Battery Bar Pro. Battery life is bad on my SP2

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm averaging around 7+ hours doing normal work with Bluetooth turned on, and fact most of the people who seem to be getting less battery have turned Bluetooth off....

oion

I'm averaging around 7+ hours doing normal work with Bluetooth turned on, and fact most of the people who seem to be getting less battery have turned Bluetooth off....

I thought that was a bug in the Surface Pro 1 that was fixed in a firmware patch or something... So it came back (or was never fixed)?

But it's wifi that sucks more power, I imagine. That's why the airplane mode tests always come out ahead. Considering the original Pro 1 got an average 4-5 hours for most people, ~7 hours average for the Pro 2 sounds about right and a pretty decent work-day. Nothing to freak out over.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It was listed as a bug in the Beta, but it makes me think that due to the tight integration between the radios on a single piece of silicon the driver power management works best with everything on or off...

oion

It was listed as a bug in the Beta, but it makes me think that due to the tight integration between the radios on a single piece of silicon the driver power management works best with everything on or off...

Interesting! This is only on the Pro series and not the RT series, right? Learn something new every day.

hksrb25s14

Just enjoy the surface pro 2 guys, don't spend all your time worry about what it could and couldn't do, just thank god it's not 3-4 hrs battery life, enjoy the time you have with it.

zurface

5-6 hours for me and I'm okay with that... because I'm not buying a keyboard until the power cover comes out then I'm really, really hoping to get 10 hours. I just can't believe how ridiculous it is that the power cover was not available closer to launch. My surface pro right now without a keyboard is the most expensive and limited tablet I could ever imagine.

demandarin

Ive gotten a lil over 6hrs. On my pro. WiFi on, brightness low. With constant web surfing, streaming some videos, using various win8 metro apps. So I'm sure you pro2 owners can pull alot better than that.

OP
C

cedric5555

Ive gotten a lil over 6hrs. On my pro. WiFi on, brightness low. With constant web surfing, streaming some videos, using various win8 metro apps. So I'm sure you pro2 owners can pull alot better than that.

It's so weird. Since you have SP1 but you still getting 4-6 hours? I have SP2 but I only got 6 hours websurfing time.
If I streaming online videos, I only got 5 hours with brightness 40%, power saved mode.
I can live with it if eveybody getting about the same but it seems mine is getting worse than others. Anyway, I am going to return it next week and my replacemnt is on its way already.

holsen

I've read the entire thread and can say I have the same problem. I've got all the updates - firmware and otherwise and even operate under Power Saver Profile. Still, I'm lucky to get 4.5 hours out of the SP2 just doing basic email, web surfing, and using word. Nothing requiring heavy processing power. It's very disappointing but i'll try to fully discharge the thing tonight and give it another full charge - but I'm close to returning it. It's a 256GB unit with cover, bluetooth adapter VGA and HDMI dongles - all up with tax I'm $1700 into this thing and I want to love it but need more than 4.5 hours for that kind of dough.

OP
C

cedric5555

I've read the entire thread and can say I have the same problem. I've got all the updates - firmware and otherwise and even operate under Power Saver Profile. Still, I'm lucky to get 4.5 hours out of the SP2 just doing basic email, web surfing, and using word. Nothing requiring heavy processing power. It's very disappointing but i'll try to fully discharge the thing tonight and give it another full charge - but I'm close to returning it. It's a 256GB unit with cover, bluetooth adapter VGA and HDMI dongles - all up with tax I'm $1700 into this thing and I want to love it but need more than 4.5 hours for that kind of dough.

Holsen,
You are the only one that understand my feeling now here. :D Yes, please discharge it completely and test it again later. Let me know what result come out. Microsoftstore was so ridiculous. I preorder it on Oct 14 and it came on Nov 7. They told me my last day to return the SP2 was Nov 14. I only had 7 days to test my systems. That's why I was going crazy with the battery life. I saw the review on web and people all are saying how they satisfy with the battery life and they have over 7 or 8 hours regular web surfing time. Today, I streaming three hours drama and regular web browsing the rest of time. In total of 5 hours 05 minutes, its dead. T_T

Do you think it's because we have 8GB ram model? 4GB ram model has better battery performance?? If so, I would change to 4GB ram model. I have another 256gb model coming next week. I will test it and report later.

Last edited:
OP
C

cedric5555

I only have 6 hours normal web surfing, email. If moives, around 5 hours for online streaming or with KMplayer/VLCplayer. Gaming is 1 hour 40 minutes.
Have the screen stay on and let the SP2 idle for whole day. It dies in 6 hours 30 minutes. There is no way it can pass 8 hours. Not even 7 hours.