What's new

My SP3 reinstalled the 9/9 firmware update today.....again.

Zog1971

Hi gang. Well, it is still happening. Once again, my SP3 has successfully reinstalled a firmware update today that my history shows as already previously successfully installed when it originally comes out. I am so confused as to why this is happening because it makes me not trust when a firmware update has been applied. I received my i7 on release date and all firmware updates since then show that they get successfully reinstalled either days or weeks after the original successful installation. Mind you, except for some issues in the first week or two, my unit has been working wonderfully and I LOVE it. So, this really isn't a huge issue, I just would like to know why it is happening. The computer has been rebooted and shut down several times since original installations. I do not do anything on my system other than schoolwork in Adobe and OneNote, and web applications. I'm fairly computer savvy and know that I am not performing any tasks that would make a firmware update need to be reapplied. I'm just confused, I guess.

Anyone who can tell me what's up with this wins my undying respect. :)

Kif

I wonder if something is overwriting or removing one of your system drivers that is included in the firmware update. If you remove or possibility change any of the system drivers included in the firmware update they're automatically reapplied during the update cycle. Check the system event logs to see if you can find something making configuration changes to your SP3. Also I think you can change windows updates to only automatically install security patches.

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

Also if you applied the Firmware without the keyboard cover on it can require another update...
Hmmmmm, this is very interesting as I normally apply my updates in the dock. Come to think of it, I think this last one did happen after the unit had been undocked and used a day with the keyboard cover. Can't say for sure about the other times. Hmmmmmm.....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmmm, this is very interesting as I normally apply my updates in the dock. Come to think of it, I think this last one did happen after the unit had been undocked and used a day with the keyboard cover. Can't say for sure about the other times. Hmmmmmm.....
If you own a Cover, you should always make sure its attached prior to any Firmware Updates as it is the mechanism that updates the Cover's Firmware/Driver as well, this goes for all Surface Models.

HvT

After playing too much last week with the SP3, I decided to set it up from scratch. The September Firmware Patch was applied before. After the full reset and reinstalling Windows, I did the Windows update. It was about to update the Firmware again. At least, the setup and reboot started. But the Firmware was not loaded again during boot. Therefore I assume that Windows stores only a note on the firmware update somewhere, not really checking it. This means, if that file or whatever it is gets damaged, the update starts again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
After playing too much last week with the SP3, I decided to set it up from scratch. The September Firmware Patch was applied before. After the full reset and reinstalling Windows, I did the Windows update. It was about to update the Firmware again. At least, the setup and reboot started. But the Firmware was not loaded again during boot. Therefore I assume that Windows stores only a note on the firmware update somewhere, not really checking it. This means, if that file or whatever it is gets damaged, the update starts again.
Drivers are included in what Microsoft calls the Firmware update...

malberttoo

If you own a Cover, you should always make sure its attached prior to any Firmware Updates as it is the mechanism that updates the Cover's Firmware/Driver as well, this goes for all Surface Models.

Interesting, had not heard that, good to know!