What's new

Solved My SP3 still hasn't got the windows 10 upgrade app

uktivo

Hi. My SP3 hasn't got the upgrade app. I've tried three methods that are being touted around the Internet with an attempt to fix this issue. After trying all three. Non have worked.
My wife's new SP3 i3 has now been upgraded, so I have to assume it's a setting on my surface.

Can anyone point me to a guide on how to do get a manual upgrade please?

Thanks

OP
U

uktivo

If anyone could advise why the upgrade app will just not show in the task bar that could help me also. I've updated everything I can. My surface is part of a domain but there is no restrictions on upgrades. I'm the administration on the domain . I've tried downloading the app without AVG antiviral and firewalls switched on.. Nothing makes a difference. Any ideas please.

leeshor

Assuming there are truly no restrictions on the system despite having joined a domain that site give you to option of leaving all of your docs/settings/and apps intact, non destructive.

With that said are you saying that you have tried that and failed? I would make sure I had a recovery image and backup of your existing 8.1 using something like Macrium Reflect just in case there is some reason it didn't give you the option before now.

OP
U

uktivo

Assuming there are truly no restrictions on the system despite having joined a domain that site give you to option of leaving all of your docs/settings/and apps intact, non destructive.

With that said are you saying that you have tried that and failed? I would make sure I had a recovery image and backup of your existing 8.1 using something like Macrium Reflect just in case there is some reason it didn't give you the option before now.

Thanks again.
Re the domain question. I've also detached away from the domain and tried to get the upgrade app. Still no joy.

Re the manual install. I've read it needs a licence key. My SP3 is activated but reading on the Internet. There seems some confusion if this manual install actually activates using your 8.1 licence key. I've read you need to upgrade to win 10, activate it and then you can preform a clean install using this manual method and MS picks up your activated Win 10 licence.
Hope that makes sense?

leeshor

That's correct. Upgrade - activate - then do whatever, whenever on a clean install. The upgrade only needs to authenticate your licensed version of Windows 8.1. You don't need a key from then on.

OP
U

uktivo

That's correct. Upgrade - activate - then do whatever, whenever on a clean install. The upgrade only needs to authenticate your licensed version of Windows 8.1. You don't need a key from then on.
Sorry to be a pain but I don't want to get 90% way through only to find I missed something.
As sp3 came pre loaded with 8.1 I don't have a dedicated key. Is this stored on the hard drive itself under a locked partition that the upgrade accesses? Ie. I physically don't have to enter anything.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's stored in Microsoft's database along with a unique identifier built from your Surface/Computer hardware. If you reinstall, the machine identifier is used to retrieve the key and activate the new installation. You can reinstall as many times as you want. On your Surface changing hardware is not an option but on other computers things like changing the disk drive or other routine hardware upgrades etc. will not invalidate the unique ID.

During the Upgrade process setup retrieves the 8.1 key from *wherever* (Non-volatile memory inside not the disk) it's permanently stored on the Surface validates the key and assigns a Windows 10 Key to your computer's unique ID, then locks it away in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch err ah, Microsoft's secret database.

Last edited:

rikracer

then locks it away in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch err ah, Microsoft's secret database.
:D +1
wonder who will get the Carson reference?