What's new

my stupid solution to the stupid pen problem

mtalinm

even the most zealous SP fanboy (read: me) cannot deny that the magnetic clip for the pen is a joke. it has fallen off many times, and worse, makes the whole tablet feel fragile.

so I thought, when I do I really really need t use the pen? not all the time. mostly I like it for marking up long documents people send me or things I am working on. usually in my office, but sometimes on the go. but not sitting in front of the TV at night (your mileage varies).

my stupid solution is to have two pens. one I leave on my desk at work, so I can grab it whenever I want to mark up a document. the other I leave in the Incipio bag I bought at the M$FT store, which is barely large enough for the SP itself but has this nifty pocket into which I stuff 1) an RT charger 2) a wedge mouse 3) a pen.

this way the pen never falls off and the device doesn't feel fragile like it used to. the tradeoff is that every couple days when I wnt to use the pen, Ineed to fish for it in the bag ut how hard is that? so there you go.

mitchellvii

I just bought this case. Simply perfect in every way and has a pen loop:

Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke

71NByWxdCkL._SL1200_.jpg

riggi

mitchellvii - do you have the cover yet? Or are you awaiting delivery?
If you have it already, what is it like typing on the type cover with the gap underneath?
I like the look of that cover (the screen angle looks better than the kickstand), but I find if I have the type cover on a non-flat surface and the type cover can flex, sometimes key presses don't register.

mitchellvii

mitchellvii - do you have the cover yet? Or are you awaiting delivery?
If you have it already, what is it like typing on the type cover with the gap underneath?
I like the look of that cover (the screen angle looks better than the kickstand), but I find if I have the type cover on a non-flat surface and the type cover can flex, sometimes key presses don't register.

Yeah I know what you mean on the flexing thing. The case is slim so I find flexing is at a minimum. I have a touch keyboard and having no issues. This is actually a redesign of their original case based upon user feedback. I'm very satisfied.

mitchellvii

One other tip should you buy this. With this type of case you cannot fold the keyboard all the way back as the leather cover will get in the way and cause it to pop loose. However, you can fold the keyboard back partially inside the case forming sort of a triangle that will allow you to keep the keyboard attached while providing a nice shallow angle for using the SP as a pure tablet. I find this quite helpful when inking as it makes a nice angle to write at.

vinumsv

One other tip should you buy this. With this type of case you cannot fold the keyboard all the way back as the leather cover will get in the way and cause it to pop loose. However, you can fold the keyboard back partially inside the case forming sort of a triangle that will allow you to keep the keyboard attached while providing a nice shallow angle for using the SP as a pure tablet. I find this quite helpful when inking as it makes a nice angle to write at.

Hey Mitch , can we make it a pure tablet form using this case ? for ex to take notes with / without the type/touch cover ?

i.e lie on its back flat on the table

mitchellvii

Hey Mitch , can we make it a pure tablet form using this case ? for ex to take notes with / without the type/touch cover ?

i.e lie on its back flat on the table

Sure. Case is relatively slim while maintaining a quality feel. As you can see it gets 5 full stars on Amazon, a rarity. You can have the case at a shallow angle with the keyboard attached or remove it and fold the cover back flat.

Because no corners of your tablet are in direct contact with any edge I feel confident you could drop your SP from a standing height in this case without sustaining damage assuming you have the case closed at the time. Although there is no perfect protection solution without turning your SP into a silicone covered tank, this is about as good as you'll get while still maintaining an attractive form factor.

Last edited:

vinumsv

Sure. Case is relatively slim while maintaining a quality feel. As you can see it gets 5 full stars on Amazon, a rarity. You can have the case at a shallow angle with the keyboard attached or remove it and fold the cover back flat.

Because no corners of your tablet are in direct contact with any edge I feel confident you could drop your SP from a standing height in this case without sustaining damage assuming you have the case closed at the time. Although there is no perfect protection solution without turning your SP into a silicone covered tank, this is about as good as you'll get while still maintaining an attractive form factor.

Thats why ordered it along with a USB 3 Hub and BT mouse :excited: Yesterday as soon i saw ur post ... :starstruck:

ama.jpg

mitchellvii

Cool, hope you like it. If you have followed my posts in here you'll realize I don't like much of anything but I really like this case.