What's new

my stupid solution to the stupid pen problem

machistmo

Sure. Case is relatively slim while maintaining a quality feel. As you can see it gets 5 full stars on Amazon, a rarity. You can have the case at a shallow angle with the keyboard attached or remove it and fold the cover back flat.

Because no corners of your tablet are in direct contact with any edge I feel confident you could drop your SP from a standing height in this case without sustaining damage assuming you have the case closed at the time. Although there is no perfect protection solution without turning your SP into a silicone covered tank, this is about as good as you'll get while still maintaining an attractive form factor.

Actually, from what I can see in the pictures, it looks as if the corners are exposed. If dropped on a corner, the Surface would be in direct contact with the surface it was dropped onto, no? What about cooling? That looks like it would limit the air-flow as well?

mitchellvii

Actually, from what I can see in the pictures, it looks as if the corners are exposed. If dropped on a corner, the Surface would be in direct contact with the surface it was dropped onto, no? What about cooling? That looks like it would limit the air-flow as well?

No, the leather (or whatever that stuff is that looks and feels like leather), extends beyond the edge of the tablet. If you were to drop it, the tablet would not hit. There are no extra holes along the top for cooling, but the ends are open and the leather doesn't sit flush against the vents so air can circulate. I have not noticed the tablet running any hotter with the case on than off. The hottest my SP ever gets running a Netflix video case off is 78C. Same with case on.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Seriously, covering the bezel is a bad idea period. All the good iPad device cases manage to avoid it, why can't products for the MS products be that same quality?

Eventually they could be. This is the first ever computer device from a non-pc maker. I would wait if I made accessories too :) Given that MS has now passed B&N for number 5 tablet seller I'd imagine more accessories will come. There are many for the B&N tablets on a similar volume. Full sales for one year and design similarities between v1 and V2 of the Surface will matter too. If the over all design stays close to now and the sales keep MS in 5th then we will see more accessories I think.

malberttoo

I just bought this case. Simply perfect in every way and has a pen loop...

Agreed!!! Thanks for the recommendation! Had mine for 3 days now, and absolutely LOVE it. Over the last 7 or 8 years, between personal and work, I have literally ordered thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Amazon, and never reviewed a single thing. This case made me change that, I was so impressed by it.

First, it's a quality case and I love the feel of the leather, and it really makes your Surface Pro look classy! Second, can be used with or without touch/type cover. If with, elastic band keeps the cover shut. If without, then invisible magnets (nice satisfying click there, too...) keep the cover closed. Third, does not block the perimeter vent, so heat is still allowed to rise naturally from the unit. Also, all ports are accessible and available for use, nothing is blocked by case. Fourth, pen loop looks good and is solid. And fifth, IMHO, just a really great price for such a quality case!

3 other colleagues and one customer all have Surface Pros, and they all bought one of these cases when they saw mine.

Highly recommended!

-Michael

mitchellvii

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the case. Under the tips and tricks category, I found that the case fits a bit more snuggly if you take two small pieces of double sided Scotch Tape and put them on the flap just to either side of the Velcro flap which holds the tablet in place. You cannot see it once it is there and makes things just a bit more snug.

Considering there are so few cases out there for the SP we are lucky to have such a nice one. I can tell it has been popular. The price goes up every time I look :)

tonyz3

Seriously, covering the bezel is a bad idea period. All the good iPad device cases manage to avoid it, why can't products for the MS products be that same quality?
Everyone has there preference but yes i am with you - i hate the look when the bezel is covered. But the first version of any device never has a big choice of cases. Hopefully more will come. But for me i an good with just the type cover and a skin to cover the rest of the body.

windows8nation

The two cases i have purchased for my Surface Pro

Hey Mitch , can we make it a pure tablet form using this case ? for ex to take notes with / without the type/touch cover ?

i.e lie on its back flat on the table

Amazon.com: MoKo Slim-fit Type / Touch Keyboard Cover Companion Sleeve Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 10.6" Inch Windows 8 Tablet, BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories
I like the way this one attaches to the Pro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0O16XK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the second one is particularly cool because the cober detaches and giives you the option to use it alone or in conjunction with the keyboard or with just the keyboard cover.

mitchellvii

The design on these cases is good. My knock on them is that they are made of this weird cheap looking material.