What's new

My support horror story.

Loofbox

Hey guys just came to vent here, I ordered a surface pro 2 in December. I received the 1.9 ghz version.

Everything was working fine, but about a month it started heating up really badly, and became unresponsive.

I go through the support website, print the shipping label. Won't lie I'm a bit bummed out, the item was barely 7 months old. But whatever, they ship it back quickly.

So I get it back, I boot it up and check the specs. They sent me back a Surface pro 2 with 1.6 GHZ processor.

I'm understandably upset, tell myself no biggie I can just reprint a label and send it back. Nope that's not an option I have to go through support. Three weeks later and they still can't locate a surface pro 2 with a 1.9 GHZ according to them.

So that's my story, if you send your unit in, make sure you get the same specs back!

jrapdx

Hey guys just came to vent here, I ordered a surface pro 2 in December. I received the 1.9 ghz version.

Everything was working fine, but about a month it started heating up really badly, and became unresponsive.

I go through the support website, print the shipping label. Won't lie I'm a bit bummed out, the item was barely 7 months old. But whatever, they ship it back quickly.

So I get it back, I boot it up and check the specs. They sent me back a Surface pro 2 with 1.6 GHZ processor.

I'm understandably upset, tell myself no biggie I can just reprint a label and send it back. Nope that's not an option I have to go through support. Three weeks later and they still can't locate a surface pro 2 with a 1.9 GHZ according to them.

So that's my story, if you send your unit in, make sure you get the same specs back!

Bummer indeed. I wonder how hard they're looking for the properly spec'd machine. Can't believe that the 1.9GHz CPU would be scarce, after all the 4300u SP2 was introduced way back in December. Keep after them until they deliver the equivalent to what you returned.

I realize not everyone has the option to shop at a local MS Store, but that's my preference precisely because support is usually much better eyeball-to-eyeball vs. over the net.

Let's keep a good thought it turns out well.

TPadden

Bummer indeed.........

Barely a bummer and certainly not a horror other than the original 1.9 only working for 7 months; hope the OP get's the working model he wants. Personally, I think the whole 1.6/ 1.9 thing is way over blown.

OP
L

Loofbox

@jrapdxThx man would have shopped at a physical Microsoft store if we had one. Still confused as in one of the support emails I got the reasoning was they had a hard time distinguishing the different units with different processors. And then that they're trying to get stock.

@TPadden The thing is man I'm upset that after their screw up, I have no choice but to go through support for them to rectify their mistake. And it's been 3 weeks now. I get it no1 complains if it's the other way around, but it sucks when you pay all that money for the pro 2 with 256 GB and u get inferior specs. Also being given the run around sucks man.

Mostly just needed to vent guys.

mennogreg

It's because all these guys sent there's back upon discovery of the new chip (not to mention all the issues plaguing it because of that faulty firmware), so MS probably has plenty of refurbished 4200u on hand.

Nuspieds

On the other hand, when I had a problem with my 1.6 GHz SP2, it was replaced with the 1.9 GHz version, so I was extremely elated! :D

However, had the opposite happened, I would be as upset as you, so I definitely sympathize. With that said, though, as long as there are multiple models, it always helps to emphasize and re-emphasize and re-emphasize and re-emphasize your expectations and requirements. It by no means is an assurance of a satisfactory outcome but in the event that it isn't, then at least you have your clear statement as a reference during the resolution discussions.

In my case, when I was returning my SP2 256 GB, I told them a million times that it was the 256 GB model and that's the model I expected in exchange. Again, my repetition was no guarantee, but we all know how humans can be and how easy it is for them to make mistakes, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and hammer-in that message and hope it works.

I, too, hope for a successful and quick resolution to your situation but based on my life's experiences, it helps to remind the human at the other end of the support call, over and over again, of your specific expectations/requirements; otherwise, he/she is most likely to process your support ticket in a zombie/robot-like state.

Again, good luck and hope it all gets resolved soon for you!

OP
L

Loofbox

This is the standard response I keep getting, it's been 3 weeks :

"I'm terribly sorry for the delay but I do not have any concrete updates that I can provide at this time. Our supply chain team is still putting together a process that will allow us to guarantee that any 1.9Ghz Surface Pro 2 is replaced with another 1.9Ghz Surface Pro 2 but we do not have an ETA yet on a solution. We are continuing to push for updates on the process and I will let you know as soon as they let us know that a process has been put into place that will allow us to guarantee a 1.9Ghz Surface Pro 2 for you."