What's new

My Surface 2 has died and Microsoft.......

jeff4433

My wife and myself both own Surface 2's. I bought one a little over a year ago and I bought my wife one for the holiday this year. Long story short, I used mine before work, came home from work and the touch screen was dead. The Surface still worked, but the touch screen was unresponsive. I followed several ideas that I researched online and finally did a factory reset. Nothing worked. I called Microsoft and they informed me that it is a hardware failure and it can't be fixed. They said they can replace the unit for me. Great! They informed me that I am 2 months out of warranty so there will be a replacement cost. I understood and felt it was fair....until they told me the cost. $320 is what Microsoft will replace my Surface 2 for. Wait, what? I said that I bought my wife's for $299 and I can replace this one for the same price right now! They said, policy is policy and that's all they can offer. I understand warranty policy, but as I told them, when I buy an actual Microsoft product that I like to think I'm buying the best. I shouldn't have to worry if it makes the warranty period. I can see if I dropped this thing or it was a software issue, but it's not. There is nothing I could have done to prevent this hardware issue. Still, they aren't willing to work with me. I'm not trying to get a free replacement, but how about a little help. I bought my daughter a $99 no name tablet 2 years ago and hers is working just fine! I am willing to pay a fee for replacement, but come on Microsoft, REALLY! Anybody else have a run in like this? To me, in Microsoft's eyes, it's 14 months old......buy a new one....sorry about your luck.

Johnny365

a 1 year hardware warranty is 1 year (12 months). Not 14 months. Didn't buy extended warranty or complete? Your loss.

VickiFL

This is why we bought Microsoft Complete for my SP3, and everything else, i.e.-my Lumia phone, our XBox One, etc. I like to have peace of mind.

jrioux

My wife and myself both own Surface 2's. I bought one a little over a year ago and I bought my wife one for the holiday this year. Long story short, I used mine before work, came home from work and the touch screen was dead. The Surface still worked, but the touch screen was unresponsive. I followed several ideas that I researched online and finally did a factory reset. Nothing worked. I called Microsoft and they informed me that it is a hardware failure and it can't be fixed. They said they can replace the unit for me. Great! They informed me that I am 2 months out of warranty so there will be a replacement cost. I understood and felt it was fair....until they told me the cost. $320 is what Microsoft will replace my Surface 2 for. Wait, what? I said that I bought my wife's for $299 and I can replace this one for the same price right now! They said, policy is policy and that's all they can offer. I understand warranty policy, but as I told them, when I buy an actual Microsoft product that I like to think I'm buying the best. I shouldn't have to worry if it makes the warranty period. I can see if I dropped this thing or it was a software issue, but it's not. There is nothing I could have done to prevent this hardware issue. Still, they aren't willing to work with me. I'm not trying to get a free replacement, but how about a little help. I bought my daughter a $99 no name tablet 2 years ago and hers is working just fine! I am willing to pay a fee for replacement, but come on Microsoft, REALLY! Anybody else have a run in like this? To me, in Microsoft's eyes, it's 14 months old......buy a new one....sorry about your luck.
Did you buy the Surface with a credit card??? Many credit cards offer bonuses, such as price guarantees, accident protection and doubling the manufacturer's warranty for things you bought with the card. I have personally benefitted from my card's price guarantees and accident protection to the tune of over $250! When I used their accident protection, they required that I pay for the repair first and submit my receipt for reimbursement. I don't remember it taking that long.

Check your card's disclosures and website to is if they offer extended warranties and follow up if they do. Be sure to get all of the approvals before you pay.